why do red light tickets not go on record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my state of Wa, red light ticket do not go on one record. of course every state is different, but i always wondered why they don't go on ones driving record. Seems like just a money grab then

You have the right to face your accuser. Unless a peace officer is present to witness the offense,the ticket is null and void.

Maybe chain of evidence requires a human to be involved in the observation of the offence for it to go on record. Just guessing...

Depending on local legislation, charges laid as a result of automated enforcement are typically laid against the registered owner, not the driver. Essentially, the law is written so the owner is responsible for how the vehicle is operated, so they are liable for the ticket. A driving record, however, reflects one's personal driving history. Since registered owner tickets don't focus on who was driving, no "person" is convicted of the offence.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
but i always wondered why they don't go on ones driving record. Seems like just a money grab then

People are more likely to say, oh well, and pay the relatively low fine when it doesn't go on their record. If it does go their record, they would fight it. So yes, a money grab.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
You have the right to face your accuser. Unless a peace officer is present to witness the offense,the ticket is null and void.

You are correct; red light and speed cameras are profit centers, nothing more- so they make it much easier to pay a citation rather than fight it.

I believe it's because they usually can't prove you were driving the car. All they really care about is collecting the fine so they base it on the vehicle.

I have gotten exactly ONE red light camera ticket 25 years ago and vowed never to get another. My wife on the other hand has received TWENTY FOUR. One more and we're gonna get her a cake.

Many if not most of the red light and speeder cameras are run by private companies hired by the local municipality or county. They get a cut of the infractions collected.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Many if not most of the red light and speeder cameras are run by private companies hired by the local municipality or county. They get a cut of the infractions collected.

Right ^^^^^^

The city of Richmond did this with a contract for $14,000 a month cost to the city.... At first the city made money on their red light monitored intersections. Then... Drivers started paying more and more attention to those lights... Less $$$. Then the monthly contract started costing the city money... Then the city had VDOT monkey ( aka cut the yellow light time a lot ) with the light functioning to get more money...

Originally Posted by PimTac

Yep. That has been a arguing point here as well.

When I used to drive home from work late at night, my usual route took me thru a town Main Street with lots of lights. Each intersection had the camera system. At night it looked like a strobe show going off as I could see 5-6 intersections on the straight a way.

Originally Posted by SR5
Maybe chain of evidence requires a human to be involved in the observation of the offence for it to go on record. Just guessing...

supposedly they have a sworn officer look at the vids to determine if they are valid. if they are valid then that person is the one witnessing the infraction .

Because they're a scam. A money grab. Illegal.

I got one and my lawyer told me to throw it in the trash, and keep throwing them in the trash.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Because they're a scam. A money grab. Illegal.

I got one and my lawyer told me to throw it in the trash, and keep throwing them in the trash.

I believe you are right RooflessVW...

And you were totally were right about some oil topic the other day. . Ford related I think. And there was another topic about school stuff and you hit that right on the head too.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
it's not like they could cancel your license or plates if you didn't pay up.

In washington state, they block the plate's next registration/renewal.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by atikovi
And when you can't renew your car registration?

Were you asking me?

Yes, apparently he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back