Q&A with Toyota's Jack Hollis on EV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this line particularly telling about the veracity of the critiscism levelled atToyotain that article...

I've been driving an EV for 10 years. It takes 10 seconds to plug in at night and I wake up in the morning with a full battery. The energy, most of which comes from my solar panels, costs the equivalent of about a dollar a gallon. How's that for customer value?

Completely disingenuous...

[Linked Image]

Basically...

A bunch of moonbats... Asking their obviously slanted questions... And not getting their agenda driven questions answered the way they wanted...

All the while...

Their "buddy" who uses more jet fuel in a cross country trip back and forth just 1 time than the average person here does on a calendar year... Their "buddy" also has two homes one which is grossly oversized for his "needs" being 10k plus square feet... Also their "buddy" has money interest and invested into beyond meat... This fake phony individual has made hundreds of millions of dollars pushing his agenda.... Laughing all the way to the bank. I am not against people making $$$... Just be a whole lot more up front and honest about it... Not being a phony...

Originally Posted by Shannow
I found this line particularly telling about the veracity of the critiscism levelled atToyotain that article...

I've been driving an EV for 10 years. It takes 10 seconds to plug in at night and I wake up in the morning with a full battery. The energy, most of which comes from my solar panels, costs the equivalent of about a dollar a gallon. How's that for customer value?

This line hit me as well. I mean that's great for the person who said it, but not everyone can do that. Someone who lives in an apartment with no charging station for example, would have a pretty tough time living with an electric car if their place of employment also did not have a charging station.

I do know a few EV owners who are very happy with their vehicles, but they all have three things in common:

1. They can charge either at work, at home, or both
2. They have fairly short commutes
3. Money is not really an issue for them

Toyota is not a very appealing brand in terms of buzz and excitement like Tesla or Apple even. They produce boring decent cars not a niche player.

They can mass produce. I am surprised VW jumped in as a mass automaker that is on par with Toyota in terms of volume.

Again it comes down to cost and return. How much did that solar panel system cost and what is the rate of return on that investment? It's mostly a feel good I'm saving the planet pipe dream.

That quote IS disengenuous... but technically possible if a Tesla PowerWall is involved... that's about the price of a good used automobile.

This is typical conservative Toyota. They are not innovators but they sit back and wait. I don't blame them. They have a lot of demand for their hybrids so this makes sense for them right now.

"All of these are part of the plan, but doing them in order of the consumer demand. "

My guess is, Toyota could come out with an incredible EV. And they will.
I am hoping for a Lexus GS EV; obviously a small market. But that's just me...

This article is skewed to opposite ends of the spectrum: Toyota saying they are building the cars people want and Electrek pushing the EV point of view.
The truth is somewhere in the middle and is constantly in flux.

Last edited:

Yeah, I've got to agree with you on that one and I have solar and an EV. In my neck of the woods, it costs about the equivalent of $4 a gallon and the costs keep going up. I wonder what he paid for his solar system? It's just not viable for most consumers. Now I will admit it is nice not having to go to the gas station.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I do know a few EV owners who are very happy with their vehicles, but they all have three things in common:

Yup. Except #2. The ability to use the computer lane is huge.
In Silicon Valley, as you know, housing costs are crazy. People who commute further love EVs because they can use the commuter lane and save on gas costs as well.
Sitting in traffic in an ICE is expensive...
FYI, Bolts sell like crazy because they cost less than Model 3s and have the benefits of EVs.

In Silicon Valley this is quite accurate.
Of course our use case is pretty unique as compared to most other locales.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Yup. Except #2. The ability to use the computer lane is huge.
In Silicon Valley, as you know, housing costs are crazy. People who commute further love EVs because they can use the commuter lane and save on gas costs as well.
Sitting in traffic in an ICE is expensive...
FYI, Bolts sell like crazy because they cost less than Model 3s and have the benefits of EVs.

Are your commuter or HOV lanes free? Up our way the chargers dependent on the time of day and or real time traffic. A commuter can be charged up to $10 each trip to use that commuter lane.

It can get frustrating too when they decide to pay that $$ only to end up stuck in the same jam as everyone else.

I've driven in the Bay Area so I know the traffic is horrible. It's been several years though so I'm guessing it hasn't changed or it is much worse.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Are your commuter or HOV lanes free? Up our way the chargers dependent on the time of day and or real time traffic. A commuter can be charged up to $10 each trip to use that commuter lane.

It can get frustrating too when they decide to pay that $$ only to end up stuck in the same jam as everyone else.

I've driven in the Bay Area so I know the traffic is horrible. It's been several years though so I'm guessing it hasn't changed or it is much worse.

There are both, but the vast majority are the free HOV. I am referring to the free HOV lanes.
I hate the pay "Lexus lanes" because it is just one more thing that favors the rich.
If you are gonna do that, I say get rid of them all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

There are both, but the vast majority are the free HOV. I am referring to the free HOV lanes.
I hate the pay "Lexus lanes" because it is just one more thing that favors the rich.
If you are gonna do that, I say get rid of them all.

Most are pay to play up here. There is even one section of freeway that has four lanes with two of them pay to play lanes.

Traffic has got much, much, much, worse. And with home prices pushing more people out of the San Jose area, it will continue to get bad. The trek going to the east bay, Livermore, and Tracy has gotten horrendous. Now people are going south because of it to Hollister, Salinas, Watsonville, and Marina/Seaside. Some are coming from Los Banos, Patterson, ect. Thank the lord above I don't have to work today or I would be sitting in 3+ hours of traffic - and that would be with the HOV lane sticker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
That quote IS disengenuous... but technically possible if a Tesla PowerWall is involved... that's about the price of a good used automobile.

Panels to batteries to batteries...yikes...the Tesla big battery in South Oz loses 20% of the power that is fed into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back