ICON

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at buying but the sets don't go as big as what I have now. The 3/8 sets only go to 7/8 and I need 15/16 and 1" and in the wrench sets I would want to go to at least 1 1/4.
If they don't sell singles that will be a game ender

Originally Posted by P10crew
I'm looking at buying but the sets don't go as big as what I have now. The 3/8 sets only go to 7/8 and I need 15/16 and 1" and in the wrench sets I would want to go to at least 1 1/4.
If they don't sell singles that will be a game ender

Go for the USA made Williams 6pt 3/8 drive sockets for $55, it goes to 1" and they sell singles.

https://aboloxtools.com/Williams-WSB-13HRC

Genius has a decent SAE wrench set, the finish is not as nice as higher priced tools but not bad and the steel is good, they hold up. I have some oddball impact stuff from them and they have held up to some real abuse without any problems.

https://www.geniustoolsusa.com/genius-tools-16pc-sae-combination-wrench-matt-finish-hs-016s.html

Originally Posted by clinebarger
How is HF going to warranty these tools....In complete sets?

I had an issue with an impact socket from a set with a plastic sleeve around it to protect alloy etc., wheels. The plastic broke. I took the set back to the store, they had me grab a new set off the shelf, open it up and take a new socket from the set. No questions asked. I ended up replacing two sockets from the set. Another plastic sleeve had the start or a crack so I grabbed another socket. Very easy and no questions asked, and I didn't need a receipt. I heard somewhere they give you a new set, that wasn't the case with me.

No. They take a single socket out of the set, give you the replacement socket, then mark the item down 50% since its missing one socket, and sell it on discount.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Are ICON tools a lot better than the HF Pittsburgh brand?

ICON are supposed to be the premium line, so yes.
I haven't had the urge to pay for the ICON pricing. Had good luck with the Pitts Pro line of ratchets and wrenches.

Like all their other warranty claims .. you get the piece that you need.
The set then goes on the tables you see at the front of the store that are marked down. Or in the sales boxes for their sidewalk/tent sales.

They are way over priced, the ratchets are no better than the pro at double and more the price. You can get a 120XP, Proto, Proto/Facom for the same money and all of them are a much better tool.
One big difference is parts availability, rebuild kits are readily available. Do not buy anything with a comfort grip handle if it isn't a Snap on, Hazet or Stahlwille and a couple of others that offer replacement grips for cheap. The grips don't last forever and they want to swap the whole tool out (that sucks). Just one example.

Icon 1/4 no flex $29.99
GEARWRENCH 1/4" Drive 120XP Extra Long Handle Teardrop Ratchet 9" - 81034 $25.94

From what I've seen of them, Icon is not enough better to justify the much higher price. I took a look and was underwhelmed. Despite Icon being positioned as a profressional tool brand I don't think the tool trucks will be losing any business to them.

I have a set of Pittsburgh Pro ratchets and sockets and they've been fine for anything I've used them for. I don't see anything about Icon at this time that would induce me to spend the extra $$$. Maybe later HF will have some good discounts and/or coupons that will make the Icon line more attractive.

Last edited:
Went to my local store today. The sale price on the shelf said 39.99 . For the 3/8" drive 12 piece set of deep wells. My boy sent me a coupon that he got off face book for the same set for 19.99 limit 4.
I asked the store manager if they were going to have singles in the icon line for warranty claims and when a dude looses one He said not that I have heard.

In my opinion that is a complete failure of the entire line of tools. They are promoting this line of tools like crazy but man.... they gotta get their poop in a group here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj

Like all their other warranty claims .. you get the piece that you need.
The set then goes on the tables you see at the front of the store that are marked down. Or in the sales boxes for their sidewalk/tent sales.

Thanks....I don't frequent HF & I bought most of my hand tools long ago.

I sent customer service an email this morning asking what the plan was and expressing the need for either bigger sets or singles. We'll see what they say.

My brother just bought a 1/2 inch drive set of Icon sockets and a breaker bar to replace some tools that were stolen. It was my first time seeing them first hand. Very nice looking tools. I noticed that breaker bar is quite a bit heavier than a Snap On. He fixes diesel generators so we will see how they last.

I bought 4 sets of 3/8 drive deeps metric and sae. Absolutely no less quality than my snap on sets. I'm just poed that they short you on sizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back