Camry or Rav4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't need the space, look at a 2020 Prius. They redesigned them and they are much less ***** than the 2019's and previous. You can get them in AWD now too if you need that.

If you could use the space the RAV 4 hybrid or not is worth a look. We have a 2015 non hybrid AWD with about 80K on it now. No issues to date, just oil changes every 10K, 2 sets of tires and front pads. It's comfy, roomy, rides well and seems to be built well. My only complaint is it's kind of a slug, it could use some more power. It sees wide open throttle often merging or passing.

Suggestion from way out in left field: 2019 Chevy Volt, there are still about 115 2019 model year units left that haven't sold yet, big discounts going on. You'd get about 50 miles electric before using gas. A few people that have done long commutes have reported very high mileage on them. But.....its discontinued and a GM product so there is a bit more risk there than a Rav4 type product.

Be aware the Camry transmission shifts will drive (no pun intended) crazy. Always seems to be too high of a gear and causes sluggish performance when driving in traffic that slows down and speeds up.

Great car.... except the trans programming.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Be aware the Camry transmission shifts will drive (no pun intended) crazy. Always seems to be too high of a gear and causes sluggish performance when driving in traffic that slows down and speeds up.

Great car.... except the trans programming.

I dislike the 6 speed AT for the same reason and the 8 speed is supposed to be worse.

90% of my driving is either highway cruising at 85 or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

Either Camry or Rav4 are great and do what they do.

Take an extended test drive in both and buy the one that makes you smile more- that is a strategy that has always worked for me.

I have a 2019 camry,8 speed auto (non cvt) with 5000 miles on it.Great car,51mpg (Canadian gallon) on the highway with 3 people in the car at 65mph.Trans shifted a little funny at first but after a few hundred km has settled down and shifts smooth.Handling in the city is very good,feels like a much smaller car,quick cornering etc.Excellent brakes. I'm very pleased overall.I owned a 1987 Camry and if this one is a reliable as the old one thats great.400,000 km on the old one,not one issue with the engine or trans.

Last edited:
I found a brand new remanufactured cvt with 36000 mile warranty. My friend work at a dealership and did some digging. After everything it's 4700.00 so I told him I would write the check. Had transmission serviced today along with oil change, tire rotation with nitrogen, etc. Was told to keep an eye on it and not to buy before this one expires as if I get in a wreck I will probably lose the car anyway. Shifts fine now; think I will continue to change fluids on transmission and crankcase every oci.i have like fifty quarts left of castrol transmax cvt fluid so why not.

Originally Posted by dareo
i think the board would like to see a used CVT go in and your car make it to 500k. But i say life is short, have fun, get something nice. I really like the Rav4 hybrid especially the plug in hybrid if you can wait that long. That Prime model will be really nice and have a tax credit. Are you going to still be driving a ton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back