Hard to start after getting gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

2008 Saturn Astra, ~50,000 miles. After I get gas, and only when I get gas, it has a hard time starting. It will turn over and turnover for several seconds. When it does catch, it stumbles and would cut out if I don't give it gas. Any ideas what might be causing it?

My guess is that the evap system/charcoal canister is overflowing with gas and causing excessive fuel being drawn into the engine. By pressing the accelerator you are increasing air flow in the intake, balancing out the fuel to air ratio.

Does it happen when you only fill the tank to 50% or just when you top it off. When you top off, do you continue to top off after the auto shutoff valve clicks off?

Even on my car, my fuel trims go way negative for a few minutes after a fuel up. The evap system is drawing in more fuel vapors than normal.

Something with the evap system? Opening the cap releases pressure inside the tank so there is less pressure at the fuel rail? Try an experiment. Next time you're out somewhere, remove the cap for a minute like you're filling up. Put it back and see how it starts now.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
My guess is that the evap system/charcoal canister is overflowing with gas and causing excessive fuel being drawn into the engine. By pressing the accelerator you are increasing air flow in the intake, balancing out the fuel to air ratio.

Does it happen when you only fill the tank to 50% or just when you top it off. When you top off, do you continue to top off after the auto shutoff valve clicks off?

Even on my car, my fuel trims go way negative for a few minutes after a fuel up. The evap system is drawing in more fuel vapors than normal.

It does it even if I just put a little bit in. I usually fill up, but sometimes I'll just put $10 in. But in either situation, it still has a hard time starting.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Something with the evap system? Opening the cap releases pressure inside the tank so there is less pressure at the fuel rail? Try an experiment. Next time you're out somewhere, remove the cap for a minute like you're filling up. Put it back and see how it starts now.

I'll try. Thanks. I would imagine it would still have a hard time. The past couple weeks, I've just left the car running when getting gas. But when I remove the gas cap, the engine starts running rough for a few seconds.

To mirror what everyone else is saying the issue is going to be in the evaporative emissions system. I've seen several Focus and F150's do the same thing due to a faulty canister purge valve.

Your EVAP purge solenoid is stuck open. I 100% guarantee it.

Go ahead, go check it. I bet if you remove the electrical plug and vacuum line going from it to the tank it'll be flowing wide open vacuum.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Your EVAP purge solenoid is stuck open. I 100% guarantee it.

Go ahead, go check it. I bet if you remove the electrical plug and vacuum line going from it to the tank it'll be flowing wide open vacuum.

Agree, knowing that the engine stumbles when the cap is removed pretty much confirms a stuck open purge valve.

Purge valve as stated. Part of the OBDII emissions system is a method to confirm your tank isn't venting into the air. There is a solenoid connected to your intake system where there is a vacuum with a hose running to the fuel tank. Part of the emissions test is to draw a vacuum in the tank to confirm it's sealed. This should only occur during a specific test cycle when it doesn't interfere with drivability. If the solenoid valve leaks you are drawing the vacuum when it shouldn't, and often at mich greater vacuum than intended. On some F150 models it can bow in the sides of the tank enough to bend the fuel level sender and affect the fuel gauge readings permanently.

My Rav4 had the same problem. Replaced the carbon canister with integrated valve and the problem went away. Hopefully, you can replace just the purge valve. The canister is pricey.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to see what part I need to get. I've found a Canister Vent Valve Solenoid and a Canister Purge Valve. Which one is it that I should get?

This happened to my '08 Hyundai Accent and is a know problem. It is the evap purge valve near the TB that is the culprit. It will be gummed up.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
This happened to my '08 Hyundai Accent and is a know problem. It is the evap purge valve near the TB that is the culprit. It will be gummed up.

How did you clean it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back