OK to use RTV to seal leaky battery cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 month old maintenance-free battery, guys, cranks the engine strong but was leaking acid from one of the battery caps. All the other caps are dry. I noticed battery top was wet 2 months ago from under the mfr's decal. I removed the decal and saw acid had crept under that plastic decal from under one hole cap. Cleaned it with water with bicarbonate and exchanged the leaking cap with its neighbor. The leak transferred with the cap. Cap is not cracked. Charging voltage at 1200 RPM measured 14.2 volts so it is not overcharging.

I'm getting tired of having to neutralize the new acid wetness every 10 days with the bicarbonate. So I thought it might be a good idea to use RTV to seal it better. I have Arbo brand red silicone RTV in my parts bin, but its label does not say it can resist acid. Alternative idea is to drill a pinhole at the top of that cap to vent pressure. What you say, guys?

Last edited:
14 month old battery should be under warranty, I don't think I would trust a quick fix on this one. I would head back to where I bought it and at least see if they had a good cap from an old battery laying around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Good luck with getting it warrantied. They don't care if it's leaking. If it passes the load test they will not warranty it.

I just looked at my Interstate warranty and here is one of the first lines.
IB warrants that your battery is free of defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the warranty periods listed for your battery model in the Chart below

So a leaking cap wouldn't fall under that?

Last edited:
I can't return it bec the warranty has expired. This is the replacement (they gave me a new one) for the previous one that failed under warranty and that original warranty has now expired.

What exactly is leaking? Are you talking about one of those triple-plug strips over each cell, or... Most maintenace-free ones I see don't have caps.

I cracked the top edge of a pretty new Interstate battery a few years ago. I repaired it with JB Weld and it's worked fine.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by Chris142
Good luck with getting it warrantied. They don't care if it's leaking. If it passes the load test they will not warranty it.

I just looked at my Interstate warranty and here is one of the first lines.
IB warrants that your battery is free of defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the warranty periods listed for your battery model in the Chart below

So a leaking cap wouldn't fall under that?
good luck getting a goon to warranty it for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back