Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

My 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 178K has never had the sparks plugs replace. The truck runs great and i get decent mpg for a truck. Looking to change the spark plugs out. Saw these on eBay. Not sure i trust eBay or even Amazon for selling real NGK plugs. He is a US seller but 6 plugs for $19.75???

What you guys think? Real or fake? Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-New-Genuine-NGK-For-Honda-Iridium-Spark-Plugs-9807B-5517W-IZFR5K11-J35A6-OEM/293117042912?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3D1d6f7eedb2664e499f647c446b4b4b13%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D293117042912%26itm%3D293117042912%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A2a304483-1130-11ea-ba7b-74dbd1802dee%7Cparentrq%3Aad9f184e16e0a9cb985013b9ffdf55e2%7Ciid%3A1

Be very careful, they may be stuck. Crack them, then bow out well and add liquid bolt removal chemical of your choice, let it soak a few.

Work out carefuly, reverse a few times to let the chemcal work..

Rod

Let me help you with the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-New-Ge...9f184e16e0a9cb985013b9ffdf55e2%7Ciid%3A1

Had a similar decision when I did my 3.0L Accord @ 100k miles recently. Ended up going with AAP and 25% discount, but the ebay pricing for the NGK Iridium was similar to yours and "very" tempting. I would have trusted Amazon or RA but AAP price with discount less than either. Guess you have to go with your gut here.

I've bought my fair share of Ebay boxed Denso / NGK plugs before I started seeing all the fake plug articles. I've never had anyone come back with a problem tho **knock on wood**

With that scare and the gamut of foreign sellers on Amazon, I just buy off RockAuto, or if need em right away, Google for the AAP 25% coupon

The pictures look real but who knows if that's really what will be sent. You got 178K mi, I wouldn't chance it at how little per year they cost given the lifespan.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Amazon, but only sold and fulfilled by Amazon, not a 3rd party.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Had a similar decision when I did my 3.0L Accord @ 100k miles recently. Ended up going with AAP and 25% discount, but the ebay pricing for the NGK Iridium was similar to yours and "very" tempting. I would have trusted Amazon or RA but AAP price with discount less than either. Guess you have to go with your gut here.

Recently did the same for my 08 Civic SI, ordered the NGK Laser Iridium's online at AAP , used the 25% off plus a $10 speed perks coupon. Couldn't beat that price.

I too would be wary of Ebay stuff for plugs. Its not worth the chance in my book, and I will usually go to pretty good lengths for a deal, but not on things like plugs that are pretty widespread being counterfeited.

Goes the same for timing belt components, even on Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/w7c4nhn

Case in point, and I'm not buying the BS answer from the seller either:

Question:There was a "made in china" label on box containing the parts. i is this curious to anyone? any concern about genuine, oem nature of the parts?

Answer:Hello, each of our products has a unique number. Each number can be verified on the official website. We are the Chinese agent of Honda, have a power of attorney, the warehouse is in China, and the product box exported from China must be marked. Made in China, the products are OEM

Moral of the story, be very careful with Amazon/Ebay parts, especially if it is something critical. If its a gasket or something that the worst that will happen is a leak, that's one thing, but a plug could break off and cause damage or a belt snap and destroy the motor.

Last edited:
If mine,I will loosen the 6 spark plugs and take one spark plug out bring it to the store for reference.If OE spark plug there could be fine,or follow the rest suggestions of how to remove stuck spark plugs,on my experience a Acura TSX V6 with 121k done easy,a 2006 honda oddesy with 141k same not to bad came off easy.I dont use anti seize either.No gapping either,pre gap but stil inspect the new one and while in the store open all the box of new ones,one time somebody switch the wrong one wasted my time going back to get the right one.Just sharing.

Skip the amazon seller. Getting worse than EBAY. for junk dumping.

I would leave the ignition alone at this point until you have an issue.

Good power and good gas mileage = good.

At 178K, Those plugs are done, no matter how well you think it runs. You are also straining the coils jumping that gap that has more than likely increased quite a bit. Go RA or someplace legit, spend the $50 bucks and just do it right.You will notice the improvement.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Be very careful, they may be stuck. Crack them, then bow out well and add liquid bolt removal chemical of your choice, let it soak a few.
Work out carefuly, reverse a few times to let the chemcal work..
Rod

His worry should not be whether the plugs are real or fake, his worry ought to be can the old plugs be taken out without damage.
IMO he ought to take the car to a mechanic who has all the tools should one break-off

If the area around the plug recess is dirt-free, only concern would be fluid to allow the plugs a chance to spin out without thread damage.
50/50 blend of acetone & Dexron trans fluid (any #Dexron will do)
soak the threads for a few hours. Once they first turn free, back & forth with the ratchet handle.
If you've never dealt with semi-frozen in place plugs, this might not be a DIY project.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
At 178K, Those plugs are done, no matter how well you think it runs. You are also straining the coils jumping that gap that has more than likely increased quite a bit. Go RA or someplace legit, spend the $50 bucks and just do it right.You will notice the improvement.

This is a very good point ^^^^^

And coils can get a bit expensive... For my car they are $90 a piece = $540....

Here's my twist on the "old plugs" issue.

I got a 15 year old Ranger with the 4.0. Not 50K yet but 15 YEARS!

Should I replace mine? I got Motorcraft plugs from RA.

I plan to dose it with Kroil for a week before doing anything.

Originally Posted by Kira

I got a 15 year old Ranger with the 4.0. Not 50K yet but 15 YEARS!

Should I replace mine?

Did they come with platinum plugs? Not sure? Pull one and check. If yes and they look good and you have no driveability problems, I would pull them all to put anti-seize on the threads and put them back in. Maybe check and adjust gaps. But if you already bought new ones, takes the same time to put those in.

Originally Posted by Propflux01

Agreed.
I want to moderate my previous comment. They should have been pulled at 7 years 100K max with Iridium-Rhodium tips. so its really hard to tell a guy " Go ahead and get after it" at this stage at 13 years and 170K+ miles. '

This may end up being more of a challenge for a shade-tree than he anticipates with toasted on secondary insulators and welded in plug nut threads. The spark has to get from the coil to the plug - old insulators don't like to be moved around much before they develop a HV "leak:

But Maybe he will have some good luck
smile.gif

p.s: Autolite XP Ir can be had for a decent price most anywhere. I'm going to try some in the Subaru where they require a 60K changeout of Ir plugs (!!) Beware Tons of Chinese counterfeits out there everywhere.

Last edited:
While the plugs should be replaced, the idea that they can last more than 110k isn't too far fetched on the K24. I threw a brand new set at mine, NGK's, and the 'wear' was only minimal relative to the ones I removed.

My older GM (3.1 V6) ran platinums out to 100k miles or so, successfully, but has a 'waste spark' system (ie: only 3 coils), which should, in theory, halve the life of the plugs. An engine without such system, such as the Hondas with the individual coil-on-plugs, should be able to achieve twice the life from the plug.

girlfriends 08 vw 1.8T 50 thou on it running great. new plugs + 3 more mpg calculated, long intervals are for sales, not better performance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back