Fuel filter change on a 2016 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I have a 2016 Prius with 33k miles and I am due to another oil change. Does anyone have an idea when and how often should I change the fuel filter?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I may be wrong in the case of a Prius however, there is typically no specific interval change on the fuel filter as it's part of an assembly(filter, float, fuel pump) in the gas tank as most vehicles have. If you ever have to drop the gas tank for repair/replacement, then the assembly may be a consideration depending on mileage of the vehicle.

I'd like to know as well.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Fuel filter is not serviceable. It's part of the fuel pump inside the tank. Don't worry about it!

Yes wasn't that just a piece of Toyota engineering.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Fuel filter is not serviceable. It's part of the fuel pump inside the tank. Don't worry about it!

I can't recall any car less than 10 years old with a replaceable fuel filter.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I can't recall any car less than 10 years old with a replaceable fuel filter.

Agreed. My '97 Saturn was the last car I had that had a serviceable fuel filter. I thought nearly all cars went to the sock inside the tank that doesn't get replaced.

Originally Posted by bogito
... Does anyone have an idea when and how often should I change the fuel filter? ...
Yes. Replace the sock only if you get an extraordinarily dirty batch of fuel that clogs it. Otherwise, why worry about it?

The original replaceable filter of my Mazda clogged at about 250k miles. The replacement filter never did, although the car continued about that much farther.

My 2003 Highlander went over 265k Kms without a pump or filter change before I sold it this year. Ran it with less than half a tank of fuel for the last 6 or 7 years and ran it out of fuel twice in the last 11 or so years of ownership.

Lexus UX 250h.

I only use ARCO 91 octane Top Tier fuel.
I only fill up with fresh fuel at a station near SFO where all the Uber drivers fill up.
It is so busy that the tanker trucks replenish the holding tanks 2x per day.
The fuel gauge does not go below 1/4 tankful.
grin.gif

I learned the hard way.

There was a fuel pump failure in the number two lane,
Northbound 101,
during morning commute,
at Hospital Curve.
Trust me.
Don't go there.
eek.gif

Mopar was the first to switch over to in-tank filters and then Honda. The Germans have until recently still use inline filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back