Camry or Rav4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beloved Honda Civic Cvt is starting to show signs. I can slowly see it. After visiting with Dave at Redline he was pleasantly amused I had got almost 300,000 miles using redline cvt/castrol cvt fluid on the original transmission. I guess when the belt breaks it gets messy. I'm not putting 5,000.00 into it. I will still change oil and cvt fluid every oci till it goes though. So I'm going back to a automatic transmission. Can't believe I'm getting a Toyota. If your a Toy boy.. Let me in the club. Tell me what I need to know. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

_20191126_215136.JPG

With as many miles as you put on, I hate to say it, but get a Prius!

Most people don't drive a car enough miles for a hybrid to make sense, but you'll definitely get the payback. Or at least get the hybrid Camry or RAV4. I could see it being a fun game with your mega-miles to try to see what the mpg will be.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Most people don't drive a car enough miles for a hybrid to make sense, but you'll definitely get the payback. Or at least get the hybrid Camry or RAV4. I could see it being a fun game with your mega-miles to try to see what the mpg will be.

I'd love to see him get a Mercedes. It 3 years unlimited miles on their CPO warranty so if he got a used one that was about 3 year old, he'd get 4 years worth of an unlimited warranty.

I've been very happy with the Camry. Not sure if you're looking new or used, but you can find Camrys in great shape with low miles in the $12k range.
My 2012 LE with the 2.5 gets phenomenal mileage; I get about 40 mpg at 70 mph. (It's rated 35 hwy.) I've had a number of tanks at 39+ mpg (hand-calculated). My lifetime average is about 31.5 mpg, including a fair bit of severe winter driving and city driving. It has a composed, comfortable and quiet ride and is surprisingly feature-dense. The backseat and trunk are surprisingly spacious. I'd recommend the Camry hands-down, though I do like Accords as well. I've driven it 500+ miles at a pop and it's been quite comfortable. I've spent some time in your gen Civic and the Camry seems to be a big upgrade in space/ride comfort for a minimal price/mpg penalty.

The other Toyota in the family, my mom's 2010 Sienna, has been darned near flawless. Its total repair bills are sub-$1000 for 205k miles. It has no rust to speak of and has been a true pleasure to own (no fluid changes other than oil changes, no belts or hoses, no suspension parts whatsoever (no tie rods, shocks, control arms, etc., nothing!) It feels quite young at its current mileage; everything works as designed. Nothing's peeling or cracked, even with being a family vehicle (plus a dog) for 10+ years. Essentially all that it's needed are oil changes every 7-10k, tires, brakes, a VVT oil control valve, its only failure ($450 at the dealer), and two batteries. Oh, and two light bulbs. It still looks great, despite what it's been through. I couldn't ask for better service!

I,ll buy another brand new one.I'm getting out of the JDM tuner/Fast Furious lifestyle. My game plan is to run Ravenol 0w16,5w16,or 0w20 whatever it specs. Will still run 87 e0 and call it a day.

A hybrid will be good if you do a lot of city driving. Otherwise stick with the standard issue.

The new RAV4 does look sharp.

I would say the Camry is a great choice especially going with the new one. I just picked up a 2104.5 Camry SE with 70,000 miles on it.

RAV4 Hybrid. Only choice among the two choices, in my opinion. For a slightly better experience wait a year for the RAV4 Prime. Great platform and the black roof two tone paint schemes look pretty dog gone unique and cool if you ask me.

Look at a Mazda CX5 with the 2.5 motor. It still uses a real automatic transmission. Fun to drive and very good mileage.

Personally, I have absolutely zero interest in a small SUV so the rav4 is not even a glimmer on my mind. It is too small to be roomy, has absolutely zero off road capability, and is $10k higher priced corolla IMO.

I have a 05 camry in the driveway and a family member has a new camry. I don't like the goofball 8-sp trans in the new camry because it just shifts too much. Blah blah blah ... technology whatever. It is irritating. The family member doesn't even notice it lol. Other than that it is a great car.

I dont even like new cars with all the automation and tech so good luck. I doubt you will see that many miles out of it regardless of what you choose.

i think the board would like to see a used CVT go in and your car make it to 500k. But i say life is short, have fun, get something nice. I really like the Rav4 hybrid especially the plug in hybrid if you can wait that long. That Prime model will be really nice and have a tax credit. Are you going to still be driving a ton?

They are going to be releasing an AWD Camry soon that has the same system as the Rav4.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Nick1994

I'd love to see him get a Mercedes. It 3 years unlimited miles on their CPO warranty so if he got a used one that was about 3 year old, he'd get 4 years worth of an unlimited warranty.

Being at the dealership constantly isn't worth a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back