Confused Over Oil Specs For Ford Raptor 3.5tt

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2019 Ford Raptor with the Hi-Output twin turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 and what oil would be best for our application.

Factory calls for SAE 5-30w Oil that meets WSS-M2C946-A specifications.

Have been looking at Kendal, Castrol Edge (as recommended by Ford Raptor Assault school) and Shell Gas/Truck oil and the more we look at the different oils the more confused we get.

Truck is driven 80% highway & 20% hard off road, from Moab and the San Juan mountain's in the summer to Montana's sub zero winters & we spend lots of time over 6.5k feet above sea level driving in mountains.

So far we have been having the Ford dealer do oil changes, but at 20k miles I'd like to start doing them. But sometimes they need to be done while on the road as we do quite a bit of travel.

We have also been told, adding a can of BG-MOA oil additive every oil change will supplement the oils additives.

What's a great quality oil that meets Fords oil requirements & will best meet our driving style?

FE5FFC71-96B9-4952-88DE-5C7412B210B7.jpeg

Last edited:
^^^ PP means Pennzoil Platinum.

There are many full synthetics that will meet the Ford spec WSS-M2C946-A. It's probably now WSS-M2C946-B1 to meet the latest SN Plus spec.

Since your truck is turbocharged, I'd run an SN Plus oil. I like Valvoline Advanced, but probably any full synthetic that meets the Ford spec and is SN Plus rated will work well.

Any good, name brand, full synthetic 5W-30 SN-Plus and Dexos1-Gen2 oil should do fine.

Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum (PP), Valvoline Advance Synthetic, Shell Rotella Gas Truck (RGT), Mobil 1 (M1), Castrol Magnatec, etc

Off topic . My dream was live some where that have nice Mountain View like that . But the dam good pay job here hard for me to leave .

Is that BG MOA a dealer suggested additive? A money maker for them but not needed if you run a quality oil.

Honestly, pretty much anything will be just fine. I'd pick something you can find at a store, Castrol or Pennzoil are my go to picks.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is that BG MOA a dealer suggested additive? A money maker for them but not needed if you run a quality oil.

Yes I would skip any extra additive, and just run a good quality oil.

Originally Posted by SR5

Yes I would skip any extra additive, and just run a good quality oil.

Exactly right guys... No need in that stuff.

Run a full synthetic SN+ because Turbo. Change every 5 - 7K because DI. Stock up on Shell Rotella Gas/Truck if you can find it at AutoZone. It's down to $2 per quart and there's a $2 per quart Shell rebate. Up to $40 per household.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Off topic . My dream was live some where that have nice Mountain View like that . But the dam good pay job here hard for me to leave .

The picture was taken in Downtown Silverton Colorado, beautiful mountain town with tons of easy 4x4 trails & you can take a coal fired train from Durango to Silverton that's out of this world.

No, a shop that runs a fleet of trucks, all on Kendal oil and a can of MOA every oil change.

He said it smothed out the 3.5l & it ran better & no cam phaser issues are all.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Shrike9
So how does Ford's Mototrcraft oil stack up to all the ones mentioned??

LOL well it meets Ford specs!

Probably just like Kendall.

M1 0w-40? Would help with the super cold MT starts, and the (light) 40 grade would offer good protection for your hard working eb.

Originally Posted by Shrike9
So how does Ford's Mototrcraft oil stack up to all the ones mentioned??

Better oils for the same or less money, like QSUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back