Washer fluid sprayed on headlights question

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't figure out where to post it.

I've never had a car with headlight washers. I LOVE and have used the RainX orange stuff for years. My wife's new XC90 has "high power" headlight squirters that activate every 5th use of the windshield washers. The car is pearl white, and I'm not happy about squirting RainX (and orange dye) all over the paint. Should I just stick to the plain blue stuff or do you think the RainX stuff will be alright? I noticed the stuff they sell at the Volvo dealer is the blue concentrated fluid.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Every 5 times the wipers wipe the car sprays wiper fluid on the headlights??

Every 5 times you wash the windshield. That's what the manual says. Until it gets down to about 1 quart left then it disables the headlight squirters until you refill it.

Probably every 5 times in a single run (count starts over every time the car is turned off), potentially with headlights on only...that's the "rules" by which my ML350 operates the headlight washers. It's actually pretty rare, typically on a road trip with lots of salt spray coming up off the road after a snow storm.

I use the blue stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KevD47
Probably every 5 times in a single run (count starts over every time the car is turned off), potentially with headlights on only...that's the "rules" by which my ML350 operates the headlight washers. It's actually pretty rare, typically on a road trip with lots of salt spray coming up off the road after a snow storm.

I use the blue stuff.

That makes more sense. Thanks!

There was a class action lawsuit against RainX for the orange fluid causing issues with fluid level sensors, seems the fluid composition ruined sensors in some makes.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
There was a class action lawsuit against RainX for the orange fluid causing issues with fluid level sensors, seems the fluid composition ruined sensors in some makes.

Can confirm. My 300 is currently throwing a fluid low alert... it seems to cause a build up on certain sensors.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Originally Posted by KevD47

I use the blue stuff.

That makes more sense. Thanks!

Yeah, use the blue stuff. I already had to replace my fluid level sensor. Wasn't that much though, around $10. No idea what the previous owner used but it looked fine when I removed it. It did seem to have a film on it when I touched it though. On one car it's every 5 pushes of the windshield washer fluid with the headlights on, my other one is every 10 pushes. The previous year they had a button for it.

RainX washer fluid seems to cause more problems than it's worth. Anecdotally it seems that 8 out of 10 people who have problems with the washer fluid system in BMW forums have been using RainX.

I use the cheap blue stuff.

I would see if the dealer could turn the washers off if it's a feature you'll never use (driving in heavy snow). If they weren't manually activated in my cars I would code them off.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Thanks everyone. I just ordered some 303 washer tablets since it says safe for paint.

I'm not sure what the point of the tablets are. Normally I just buy the blue stuff, can't really get methanol cheaper than in pre-mixed windshield washer fluid. Otherwise water cleans pretty well if it doesn't go below freezing in your area or you can just mix water with windshield washer fluid.

My CTS headlight washers come on every few cycles as well and usually that is after a wash and wipe down ! I may deactivate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back