QS Ultimate Durability 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im interested in the QS powertrain warranty and buyback program for my Taco and 4Runner. I emailed them and included a copy of Toyotas verbiage allowing a thicker oil than 0w20 and they said in writing they will honor the warranty and buyback with the use of 5w30.

That said I've not used QS full synthetic before and I'm curious as to how the 5w30 version holds up. Use will be 10k oci in both vehicles. Is this formulation pretty fair in terms of piston deposits and varnish protection etc? Any ida on a HTHS?

Originally Posted by Danno
Where is "icebox of the nation" ?
Could make a difference on the 5W equation.

Fargo???

[Linked Image]

QSGB & QSUD have become my new go to and maybe even my favorite oils. I've also used QS Defy & QSHM. I love how quiet my engines are with QS oils. Not that other oils didn't however, some oils actually made my engines more audible til the next OCI.

Last edited:
If I were in a cold climate I would just use 0W-20. That's what I use in my wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 and it seems to work well. I change it 5-6K miles.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Im interested in the QS powertrain warranty and buyback program for my Taco and 4Runner. I emailed them and included a copy of Toyotas verbiage allowing a thicker oil than 0w20 and they said in writing they will honor the warranty and buyback with the use of 5w30.

That said I've not used QS full synthetic before and I'm curious as to how the 5w30 version holds up. Use will be 10k oci in both vehicles. Is this formulation pretty fair in terms of piston deposits and varnish protection etc? Any ida on a HTHS?

HTHS is likely 3.1-3.2 like many Dexos Gen 2 approved oils... Just fine.

Being Dexos approved it has to meet tougher specs for piston deposits and keeping varnish down...

Being that you are in such a very cold area the question of short trips enters my mind... If that is a yes for a answer then I would not go for a long run of 10k miles. But that's just my way of thinking.

QS has a decently high molybdenum and high boron additive package.

I wouldn't have a problem running it for 10 k in then4 runner. The Taco May be fine. I ran that oil in a 2.7 eco boost f150 at full 10k intervals. it seemed to hold up under that tougher engine condition, but i never tested the used oil. My concern I have is Soot and chain stretchin in the taco.. But it's been a few years with this engine and no reports of issues. I am actually relaxing a bit on the issue It may not be expressing itself in this engine.lots of them going on and on with 10k bulk 0w20.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
If I were in a cold climate I would just use 0W-20. That's what I use in my wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 and it seems to work well. I change it 5-6K miles.

I agree with this. QSUD seems to be on the thicker side of a 5w30. If you're looking to do a 10k oci I'd be inclined to use something like Mobil 1 EP 0w20. As far as cleaning ability goes you may be better off with PP or PUP vs QSUD, which I think it may use more VI improvers and PPD's compared to the other three. If I lived in ND or MN I personally would go with Mobil 1 EP 0w20.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

I wouldn't have a problem running it for 10 k in then4 runner. The Taco May be fine. I ran that oil in a 2.7 eco boost f150 at full 10k intervals. it seemed to hold up under that tougher engine condition, but i never tested the used oil. My concern I have is Soot and chain stretchin in the taco.. But it's been a few years with this engine and no reports of issues. I am actually relaxing a bit on the issue It may not be expressing itself in this engine.lots of them going on and on with 10k bulk 0w20.

IMHO, the only way to combat soot and chain stretch is to reduce the OCI interval. My cheap, 4-cyl Equinox loves to load its oil with soot and eat it after 3000 miles. It needs changed right then and there -- at 3K miles. So, I've settled on QSUD 5W-30 changes at the interval. It's great oil and inexpensive. So much so that I won't feel ripped off at such a short internal period. As such, the engine/car will last as long as I care to keep it.

You will need to check your oil EVERY fill-up at the pump to determine what your OCI schedule will be. Perhaps a few rounds of oil analysis will help you make that decision as well.

BTW, my older Silverado loves QSUD 5W-30 as well. My Alaskan Silverado with a 5.3L Gen III L59 engine does well on QSUD down to -25 to -30 degs F. No problem.

And also, both vehicles like SOPUS' new product, RGT 5W-30, as well. I've recently tried this new SOPUS product in my Chevy trucks as their rebate enticed me. In the end, I'm sticking with QSUD, as its cheaper and does just as well it seems.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry...more details.

I see temps down to -35 or so...but 5w30 is widely used up here...so no concern there. I've used it in the last with no issues

Driving habits are mostly highway. I drive 30,000 a year. Taco sees 3500 rpm for hours at a time. Currently running 0w40 which has been great. Just figured if I can get some free money at 300k...why not?

Sorry...more details.

I see temps down to -35 or so...but 5w30 is widely used up here...so no concern there. I've used it in the last with no issues

Driving habits are mostly highway. I drive 30,000 a year. Taco sees 3500 rpm for hours at a time. Currently running 0w40 which has been great. Just figured if I can get some free money at 300k...why not?

Mobil 1 0W40 is great oil. I'm not sure if any Quaker State product can beat it.
Personally, I change oil at or before 5,000 miles (3K miles with my cheap Equinox commuter). Regular maintenance is cheap insurance against costly repairs.
Give it a try though. It may surprise you. A UOA or three will likely help you decide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back