Treating Ethanol Free Gas?

I've been treating my OPE Ethanol laced fuel with Stabil or Stabil Marine 360 for several years now. Recently a nearby Wawa started selling 89 Octane ethanol free fuel, so I stopped in tonight and bought some. Much to my surprise, it cost only 4 cents per gallon more than the usual 89 Octane mid-grade. I plan to use this fuel in the "standby" toys, meaning generators, snow blowers, and anything else you hope you never have to use. If it were you, would you treat it or just let it go?

p.s. Bought a battery operated transfer pump yesterday at Harbor Freight, making it really easy to remove stale fuel from these toys.

Treat it because what if you didn't, would you hate yourself?

I'd try and give that station some business with my regular car, too, just to encourage them to keep selling this.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I'd try and give that station some business with my regular car, too, just to encourage them to keep selling this.
I was a little surprised at the price because the Sunoco I stop at in Phillip, ME, charges closer to $4/gal for Ethanol free gas.

My method is that IF gas is going into gas cans, it gets treated. I only buy ethenol free gas for OPE or my motorcycles. In decades of doing it like this, I've never had anything fail to start.

It's the gas that gets old and goes bad, not the alcohol, so yes, treat the E0 gas. You should still buy only what you will use up in 6 months or less (best practice, even if treated) and you still need to run your machinery dry before storage.

Not an argument in favour of or against something, but I had an old Protege with 1.8 DOHC sitting for 6 years straight that started right up with no treatment. The battery was out on a charger all that time though, the gas was what was in the tank before I anchored it. Regular gasohol; make your own mind, of course.

Originally Posted by wag123
It's the gas that gets old and goes bad, not the alcohol, so yes, treat the E0 gas. You should still buy only what you will use up in 6 months or less (best practice, even if treated) and you still need to run your machinery dry before storage.
Agreed, but Stabil 360 is supposed to maintain a positive vapor pressure and thus keep water vapor from entering the fuel tank. I have some Stabil 360 on hand and will dose up this 5 gallons prior to using it.

PROJECT FARM on YouTube tested a number of ethanol gasoline snake oils... and if I remember correctly thyis what they proved to be.
Ethanol gas is just GARBAGE!
Especially in non fuel injected systems. Most lawn equipment, boats, planes, cars, motorcycles with carburetors, ethanol = pain and suffering eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I was a little surprised at the price because the Sunoco I stop at in Phillip, ME, charges closer to $4/gal for Ethanol free gas.

Wow, that is really gougey! Phillips is literally in the middle of nowhere, though. I just was there this past spring for the first time. Here in Bangor, regular has been about $2.49 for a long time and at the few stations that have ethanol free, that's like $2.90ish? I only put ethanol free in my yard equipment and my fun car, things that sit for long periods.

Originally Posted by jakewells
I treat ethanol free with PRI-G and fuel doesn't sour even after 18 months in equipment i recommend it.

What does gasoline go into and not get used for 18 months?

Originally Posted by Bonz
Originally Posted by jakewells
I treat ethanol free with PRI-G and fuel doesn't sour even after 18 months in equipment i recommend it.

What does gasoline go into and not get used for 18 months?

1952 ford 8n split in half for transmission and rear axle overhaul.

I looked up PRI-G, says one of the functions is that it restores old gas to freshness.

Sounds like it worked well for you, never heard of it until I looked it up but looks like it's sold many places.

Treat it because what if you didn't, would you hate yourself?

Absolutely, been a few years since the spread was .04 cents here, now it's .35 cents, just can't justify using it in my vehicles but still use it in OPE along with red sta-bil and a shot of Star Tron to keep things clean.

Last edited:
I looked up PRI-G, says one of the functions is that it restores old gas to freshness.

For the most part that's just not possible. Once the more volatile components have evaporated there's no way to put them back, plus you can't reverse oxidative reactions that have occurred. Those claims are false other than possibly sequestering some water that may have ingressed the tank. Making such claims would cause me to doubt anything else that company might say.

^WORD

no bringing back stale gas.....with all the talk about water etc. it sounds like its mostly rubbing alcohol.

Sounds like it worked well for you, never heard of it until I looked it up but looks like it's sold many places.

Just checked those, "many places", but couldn't find them in any of the auto parts stores this afternoon.
Did find "Techron's Powersports & Small Engine Fuel System Treatment" in Auto Zone. Claims to stabilize with confidence up to 2 years.
Knew that Techron made many products but first time I saw this one. Always used one of the Sta-Bil products in the past.

Has anyone used this for preserving the longevity of the gasoline?

my eth free fuel stays fresh for about 1 year untreared. however when mixed with 2 cycle oil -it degrades much faster

I went ahead and treated it with 1/2 ounce of Sta-bil 360 Marine per five gallons. The main concerns here are the generators and snowblower, which tend to sit with full tanks for months on end. I just drained about four gallons of treated E10 from the generators and dumped it into my car. The treated E0 will be going in soon. Thanks to a Harbor Freight battery operated transfer pump, I can easily drain these tanks after a few months. The E0 fuel is for peace of mind, and I guess that Sta-bil can't hurt anything and may actually lay down a protective coating if and when the machines are run dry.

We are fortunate to have a major retailer like Wawa experimenting with Ethanol Free fuel here in PA. Wawa has over 600 gas stations in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, D.C. Thus far nine stations in PA have Ethanol free gas, according to https://www.pure-gas.org/. Looking at where these stations are located, it is pretty clear that they are targeting areas where people own and operate their own OPE. Thus far they are avoiding the wealthy suburbs that wrap around Philadelphia.

I see PRI-G advertised online, it can be bought or ordered through Walmart, Amazon, eBay. Local auto parts store would be overpriced anyway. Honestly, the local auto parts store when it comes to fluids and filters is vastly overpriced. Walmart beats them by such a large amount and so does Amazon or ebay. Their true value is in the ability to provide parts when I don't have time to wait. eBay beats them by 30% or more typically if I can order in advance of doing the work.

It's a different world than when I was growing up and would compare parts pricing and availability from the auto parts stores in my town. I don't know how they're going to continue unless people just feel like overpaying.

Back