P0452 dodge dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks ago my dart fell on its face on take off right after getting gas. Misfired half a dozen times after that and then was fine and has been fine. Today it threw a cel for p0452 and died in a drive through fired back up took
Off backfired once and died when I stopped again. I had to give the car gas to get it to start. Then tonight it was fine again but the cel is still on. Does anyone have any ideas? I couldn't find much about this code with this car in particular. It's a evap pressure sensor code.

My understanding is the #1 reason for an evap check engine code is the gas cap.
It can be the cap itself or simply not tightened correctly after a fill up.

This did happen on my folks perfect 1998 Accord LX 4 banger. A new gas cap, like $4, did the trick.
I cleared the code and 1,000 miles later all is good.

The only other time I dealt with an evap code was in my 2001 Tundra; there was a cracked hose to one of the components.
Super easy fix.

It sounds like your error code is pointing to a sensor, so your solution could easily be different.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Just a guess but I would say your canister purge solenoid is stuck open. Do you hear a hiss noise from the fuel fill hole if you unscrew the gas cap while the car is running?

Last edited:
Does the evaporation system connect to the vacuum system on that car?

On my old 318i, any slight leak - breather hose, oil filler cap, dipstick, etc., would cause a major air leak and the car would barely run if at all, and needed a lot of throttle to keep it going. An inadvertently disconnected breather hose from the intake trunk taught me that...

Gas cap is obvious, but this seems more severe. Did the pump overfill? Maybe something got logged with excess fuel?

P0452 DODGE Possible Causes
Faulty Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) Pressure sensor
EVAP purge hose/tube obstruction
Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) Pressure sensor harness is open or shorted
Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) Pressure sensor circuit poor electrical connection.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Does the evaporation system connect to the vacuum system on that car?

On my old 318i, any slight leak - breather hose, oil filler cap, dipstick, etc., would cause a major air leak and the car would barely run if at all, and needed a lot of throttle to keep it going. An inadvertently disconnected breather hose from the intake trunk taught me that...

Gas cap is obvious, but this seems more severe. Did the pump overfill? Maybe something got logged with excess fuel?

The purge solenoid is usually directly connected to the intake manifold

If the solenoid is stuck open it will pull a constant vacuum on the entire evaporate emission system, including the fuel tank. The first thing the ecm usually picks up on are incorrect data from the pressure sensor

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ram_man
Any idea where the pressure sensor is?

If I am not mistaking it is on fuel tank
I do know Dodge has reprogrammed PCM for this code on other vehicles.

Dont fill it up all the way, keep it a gallon or two from the top. Run a few tanks like that . 3rd tankful, fill it up all the way and if it stalls and sputters, its the evap pressure sensor.

Originally Posted by saginawmale50
Dont fill it up all the way, keep it a gallon or two from the top. Run a few tanks like that . 3rd tankful, fill it up all the way and if it stalls and sputters, its the evap pressure sensor.

Both times it has acted it up was right after we filled it up ironically enough.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" [raising his right arm over his head].
Doctor: "Well then don't do that."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Dodge Darts, since 1960

They did fix the engine stalling on left hand turns though with the advent of fuel injection.

I am leaning towards an esim problem so I ordered a replacement for $29 hopefully I'm right!

Last edited:
The switch in the ESIM should be Open at zero vacuum. You can ohm across the switch with the EISM removed to see if it's Open or Closed......The EISM must be level to test switch operation.

It's odd you have drivability issues assuming just the ESIM switch is simply stuck closed.....As in the system will function normally besides the DTC & SES light.
The weighted valves in the ESIM should relieve pressure & vacuum above a certain threshold which is pretty low. Easily tested by blowing & sucking on the Canister side of the EISM....Again the EISM needs to be level.
Don't forget the Filter on the fresh air side of the EISM.....It can clog with dirt/debris if your car is operated on dirt/gravel roads leaving the easiest path to relieve vapor while filling through the Purge Solenoid assuming the PCM was performing a ESIM SWITCH STUCK CLOSED MONITOR TEST which opens the Purge Solenoid. Though I couldn't verify the decay time for this test (How long the PCM leaves the Purge closed before opening it for the test)

By all means.....Check the Purge Solenoid for proper operation as well like others suggested!!!! With the electrical connector unplugged, Apply 5" of vacuum to the Inlet port.....It should hold!

Or fire the parts cannon at it.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ram_man
A couple weeks ago my dart fell on its face on take off right after getting gas. Misfired half a dozen times after that and then was fine and has been fine. Today it threw a cel for p0452 and died in a drive through fired back up took
Off backfired once and died when I stopped again. I had to give the car gas to get it to start. Then tonight it was fine again but the cel is still on. Does anyone have any ideas? I couldn't find much about this code with this car in particular. It's a evap pressure sensor code.
Any idea where the pressure sensor is?

Weren't you a mechanic at a dealership for a while?

These just aren't the questions I ever expect of an auto mechanic, at all.

Yes I was but I didn't work for Chrysler. If you know anything about cars you know that the way fca does evap is different than many others.
I don't pretend to know everything. I also enjoy discussion as you never know what you may learn.
There isn't much info about the dart online regarding this code. So I bought all data diy again and that told me all I needed to know. The esim is indeed bad and only acts up when the car is filled up. Already diagnosed it just waiting for the part in the mail.
I work mostly on fords so I know more about them than anything so Chrysler's like anyone else when it comes to different engineering I have to read and learn like anyone else.
Also many mechanics assume they know everything that usually their biggest problem to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back