Any harm in using 0w20 in a Kia that specifies 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kia manual allows 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 depending on climate. Would a 0w20 be a problem? I don't see how it could be... We can get down to -25f or even -30 where I'm at.

Last edited:
I don't think you would have a problem.. My question pi n is...would there be any issue running 5w20 where 0w20 is spec'd?...I have plenty of 5w20 in my stash

How exactly will it run better on 0-20? I would like to know since I have a Hyundai engine.

Originally Posted by walterjay
How exactly will it run better on 0-20? I would like to know since I have a Hyundai engine.

I think they mean in temps below 0.

Personally, I'm wating until after the warranty is up to run 0w20. Kia dealers are pretty notoriously terrible about warranty claims- not that I think I'll ever need to make a claim. Yes, you can fight them and probably win, but I'm for just using whatever the manufaturer recommends and avoiding that potential conflict.

Originally Posted by benhen77
Personally, I'm wating until after the warranty is up to run 0w20. Kia dealers are pretty notoriously terrible about warranty claims- not that I think I'll ever need to make a claim. Yes, you can fight them and probably win, but I'm for just using whatever the manufaturer recommends and avoiding that potential conflict.

They are terrible about claims, but I doubt those dolts would be able to discern the difference between 5W and 0W-20. Mostly they deny for things like the timing belt not being changed on time, etc...

Absolutely not. You want an 0w-xx oil for those temperatures. If I lived in that kind of climate with my current vehicles that use 5w-30, I'd go look for 0w-30. It will always be better for cold starts.

Originally Posted by Loobit
Absolutely not. You want an 0w-xx oil for those temperatures. If I lived in that kind of climate with my current vehicles that use 5w-30, I'd go look for 0w-30. It will always be better for cold starts.

Do you have any conjecture as to why they wouldn't list that weight in the manual for those temps?

It may hurt. Hyundai generally likes thicker oils like 5W-40. So they try to avoid any 0W-x oils in their recommended list. I think 0W-40 can be a reasonable choice for cold climates.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
It may hurt. Hyundai generally likes thicker oils like 5W-40. So they try to avoid any 0W-x oils in their recommended list. I think 0W-40 can be a reasonable choice for cold climates.

The question is between 20's - 5w vs 0w. If what you say is true, they'd say use a 0w20 since most are heavier at full temp.

Originally Posted by redbone3
Here is the word from Mobil: https://mobiloil.com/en/viscosity/0w-20

...and Quaker State recommends 0w20 as a choice for my KIA 2.4L too...

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/o...X2x4XzJfNF9hd2Rfc3BvcnRhZ2VfRUZ0OFBuUUY2

KIA (US)Â SportageSportage LX 2.4 AWD (Sportage)Â (2018)

Expanded view

RECOMMENDED FORÂ KIA (US)Â

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN/GF-5 2016)PREMIUM

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN/GF5 2016)STANDARD

So how does that make sense exactly?

Originally Posted by SlavaB
So how does that make sense exactly?

It doesn't, it's just more misconceptions and misunderstanding about winter ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back