Decent tire for my wifes Honda Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

My wife needs a new set of tires on her 2004 Honda Civic.

The car is a daily driver in the SF bay area.

I was looking at DTD and was considering the

KUMHO
SOLUS TA11

size is 195/60R15

For the $ is there anything better or should I spend a bit more?

Thanks

I've been very happy with the Nankang SP9's on my Civic. I have more than 10k miles on them. They were about $40 each when I bought them.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
BITOG loves the General Altimax RT43

Right!
Providing the RT43 come in the 195-60-15(almost certain they do), then these should be a strong consideration.

Cooper CS5 Ultra or Touring are really a good choice. They are made in the US. Discount Tire carries them. I'm running a set now and they are very quiet.

I had a set on my wife's Volvo XC.

They were an excellent tire for the price.

They would be a good choice for the OP.

And so does Consumer Reports based on their test. See December issue. That Kumho model was also in their test and was much lower.

Originally Posted by Passport1

Cooper CS5 Ultra or Touring are really a good choice. They are made in the US. Discount Tire carries them. I'm running a set now and they are very quiet.

I have this tire on moth my MBs, in 14" and 15" sizes, and have been very pleased with price and performance.

My Corolla loves the HANKOOK Kinergy PT H737 tires in 195/65R15, and they come in 195/60R15 as well. Great tire in the rain. Made in USA.

Currently $65/ea at walmart.com .

not a fan of the low dollar kumhos
they are average at best.

The RT43 is probably the value leader...

What are you looking for in the tire..

Noise
ride (soft for comfort vs stiff for handling)
dry traction
wet traction
treadlife
price
handling
winter traction
etc.

Originally Posted by Rand
The RT43 is probably the value leader...

I would dispute that. It's probably the better tire in snow, but the H737 is the better tire in rain.

RT43's are going for $114 for the T speed and $124 for the H in this size at Walmart. H737's are $85 everywhere and just had a Walmart price rollback to $57.77. That's for a Made in USA, 860/A/A tire with 90K warranty.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Kinergy-PT-H737-All-Season-Tire-205-60R15-91H/774419347

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-kinergy-pt-h737.html

Originally Posted by tiredguy
For the $ is there anything better or should I spend a bit more?

For $57.77 each, US made, 90K, 860/A/A, I don't think you'll find a better choice.

Looking for a "value tire" for an 04 Civic? From personal experience, same tire size, same generation Civic, I'd recommend Yokohama Avid Touring S. Liked them so much I had two sets on a now high miles EX still in service. Looking at DTD/DT, currently ~$58 a tire. Not too shabby. I'd expect they may be less in a day during BF promo sale. T rated 65k mile warranty. A solid tire ime. They've been around awhile, so often overlooked now. And made in the US.

Willing to spend more? Agree with RT43s, I have V rated on an Accord, very satisfied. I'd also consider the mentioned Cooper CS5 Ultra.

Originally Posted by Astro14

I had a set on my wife's Volvo XC.

They were an excellent tire for the price.

They would be a good choice for the OP.

+1

My girlfriend had Michelin Premiers on her '01 Civic before it was totaled. Amazing tires. Great grip in all conditions. I'm also a big fan of Discount Tire's Arizonian Silver Editions. Had those on my old Integra and had only good things to say about them.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I'd suggest checking out Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - very good tire and it's cheap.
Sumi is a reputable company if you didn't know.

Had a set of the P01s on a Grand Am and my old Integra, and they were terrible on both cars, especially in the rain and snow. Not sure how much they've improved from the P01 to the P02, but I have to imagine there are better tires out there for the $$ based on my experiences. Swapped them out before they were worn out on my Integra with the Arizonian Silver Editions and it was a night and day difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back