DIY Trans Fluid change on Toyota vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What method are DIYers here on bitog using to change the transmission fluid on sealed toyota vehicles, Please post any specific video or instructions you are using and how is it working for you so far ?? Is the exact amount of fluid/temperature as critical as some make it sound ?? Thanks guys.

Drain, measure, refill with the same amount.

I've done it a few times across my two 4Runners and Sequoia. All good.

I've also gone to the trouble of getting the trans up to temp and checking the fluid level the proper way as well. It made me feel good, but not sure it was worth the additional trouble over the first method.

I've done a few sealed ZF transmissions and an Aisin A750E. I use a thermal imaging camera and a helper to read pan temperature while filling while the car is running, but I would be comfortable using the laser thermometers you can get for cheap. I pump as much fluid in as I can in until it won't hold, then start the vehicle and keep pumping until the temperature is pretty close and the fluid runs out.

At this point I've put 70,000+ miles on those transmissions (combined) and never had any issues. I like to change transmission fluid at around 60-70k miles, which has been the mileage when I've bought those cars.

My only problem with the A750E was that it has a mind of its own that would never hold gears when you wanted it to. The programming was absolutely horrible and by far the worst of any automatic transmission I've owned. Most cars I can control shift points with throttle application after some practice, that one after 2 years I still couldn't figure out.

I know my lexus has a mode that tells you when the temperature is right. You have to jumper pins on the OBD port. Plan B is a cheap ($20-$30) techstream. It gives you temp. I hear the pan temp method isn't accurate.

Pan and filter is same as any, an offset wrench works good if you have and tight space around the frame areas as in a Camry or Sienna. This one is good for the flush, if not sure of witch is the return line, open the easiest first, tube both ends to a drain bucket, if it come out from the radiator side, you've got the return line, proceed, if not, do the other line, as you will want to be sure not to pump the dirty fluid from the radiator back into the transmission.
2009 Toyota Sienna Transmission Fluid Flush and Filter Change

One other point, there is a spec for fluid replacement when valve body is replaced, that should be very close to the volume you'll want to add back in. Finding that spec isn't easy, but it is out there. For 2005 4Runner ~4.3 quarts, if I remember right.

I just did a trans service on my Sienna a few weeks ago. I got the transmission to the proper temp to refill. I monitored the temp with a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the Torque Pro app. There is also a way to get the car into a "service mode" and it will indicate on the instrument cluster when it gets to the proper temp. I haven't used that method yet though.
If you use the Torque app, you need to add a custom PID to read ATF temp. The ATF temp PID that's already in the app does NOT work. It simply displays the engine coolant temp instead. You need the custom PID for the real ATF temp. Adding the custom PID is pretty easy. It consists of filling out some fields in the app with a bunch of computer programming gibberish. I found the info online that told me what to enter in each field.

When filling the transmission, it not only needs to be at the correct temperature, but the engine also has to be idling in park. If you fill it to the "correct" level with the engine off, it'll be about a quart too low.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-drain-refill-automatic-transmission.63851/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-full-flush-for-automatic-transmission.68462/

Tacoma/4Runner A750F
The Ultragauge is invaluable, but an IR temp gun will get you close. My Tacoma checked at 97-115°F. The 4Runner is 104-113°F.
3.2 quarts is all it takes. At this point I'd be comfortable pulling the drain plug, adding 3.2 quarts and not checking the level, I do always check it though. I usually put about 3.5 quarts in and run it through the gears to fill all the valve body and circuits then let it warm up to temp and pull the check plug. I always get ~1/3 of a quart back out. Maxlife ATF works great in these, it mixes with WS with no issues in my experience.

A funnel with a hose on it is said to be a great way to refill these through the fill hole. Pics in the link below.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278427-drain-fill-tranmission.html

Some people like to use the sprayer method.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ssion-on-my-2nd-gen-v6-pic-heavy.511913/

I like to use this style pump either through the fill hole or I'll hook the 3/8" hose to a return cooler line.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Multi-Use-Pump-Universal-36200WD/345121918

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by exranger06
I just did a trans service on my Sienna a few weeks ago. I got the transmission to the proper temp to refill. I monitored the temp with a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the Torque Pro app. There is also a way to get the car into a "service mode" and it will indicate on the instrument cluster when it gets to the proper temp. I haven't used that method yet though.
If you use the Torque app, you need to add a custom PID to read ATF temp. The ATF temp PID that's already in the app does NOT work. It simply displays the engine coolant temp instead. You need the custom PID for the real ATF temp. Adding the custom PID is pretty easy. It consists of filling out some fields in the app with a bunch of computer programming gibberish. I found the info online that told me what to enter in each field.

When filling the transmission, it not only needs to be at the correct temperature, but the engine also has to be idling in park. If you fill it to the "correct" level with the engine off, it'll be about a quart too low.

I also have the Torque Pro App, can you please share how you were able to rear the AT temps?

Originally Posted by diyjake

I also have the Torque Pro App, can you please share how you were able to rear the AT temps?

Yes. I took some screenshots; you can see them below. Go to Settings, Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors, then Add Custom PID. Then add the info in the screenshots to the appropriate fields:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Use Car Scanner ELM OBD2. It's free and has and will read Toyota tranny temp out of the "box". Just tell it Toyota sensors instead of generic.

I don't see any reason to mess with temperatures. Just have your car and jug of new ATF at ambient temperature and replace same volume you removed.

The hard part is getting the new fluid in the fill hole.

Originally Posted by diyjake

Yes. I took some screenshots; you can see them below. Go to Settings, Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors, then Add Custom PID. Then add the info in the screenshots to the appropriate fields:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks. I just ordered a bluetooth scanner and will download torque pro.

Is350, I drain 4 QT and refill. Do it when car has been on ramps all night and new fluid in garage so they're both the same temp then you don't have to worry about it since you just replace what you took out.

Yes, fluid temp is critical.

If this is your first change and assuming to factory fill is correct, all you need to do is drain out when cold, measure and replace with the same amount of WS. The temp of the replacement fluid and the drained fluid needs to be the same.

I bought a Scan Gauge that reads ATF fluid temp as my cars were all old and I didn't trust they were filled properly. The hardest part for me was finding the temp to check the level. I only have the Lexus Temps chart through 2012.

I had to label the container with those white labels as the ATF will erase the lettering on the side over time.

[Linked Image]

I've done it twice, following the writeup on Tacoma World. I used the jumper method to verify fluid temp. Went with Toyota WS fluid both times. Local dealers gave a little discount for buying 15 quarts.

No issues other than it being a messy process with having to fill through the port in the side of the trans. I used one of those red and black hand pumps you can get at Harbor Freight. I'd love to know a better pump or method to use.

I've always done the "put in what came out" method on our Rav4, 4runner, and now Tundra and Camry. The only extra step I consider is making sure the ambient temperatures of the new bottled fluid is somewhat near the tranny temp.

Used WS while the warranty exists, switched over to Maxlife post warranty.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I've done it twice, following the writeup on Tacoma World. I used the jumper method to verify fluid temp. Went with Toyota WS fluid both times. Local dealers gave a little discount for buying 15 quarts.

No issues other than it being a messy process with having to fill through the port in the side of the trans. I used one of those red and black hand pumps you can get at Harbor Freight. I'd love to know a better pump or method to use.

i just did a full exchange on my 08 4runner. the easiest & cleanest way to fill it is with a large funnel & some 3/8 clear tube from a hardware store. from under the hood, run the clear hose down the passenger side of engine to the trans fill hole, then connect the funnel to the other end up in the engine bay, hold the funnel & pour in the fluid, let it drain into the trans then add more fluid... took about 2 minutes to add 2 qts, which is what i pumped out each time by starting the engine with the bottom trans line unhooked from the radiator for a total of 12 qts. didnt spill a drop & took about an hour total. a 2nd person to hold the funnel & start the engine helps.

or get a different pump, the HF red & black pump with long hoses is more of a siphon for liquids, for less than $10 you can get a hand pump that screws
direct to the 1qt bottle or gallon jugs.

Last edited:
Pan temp with a IR thermometer may vary depending on where you shoot it. This is a Flir IR image from my Lexus 2016 ES350 which is the same as the Camry/Avalon 3.5 V-6. The "red dot" on the black and white photo is where the IR thermometer was within 1-2 degrees of using a Scan Gauge 2. Either use the fill back what came out method or get a Scan Gauge/Techstream.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back