KIA Power Steering fluid - PSF-3 - Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif
Now there's some good information from the dealer(s). Don't use ATF, but we use some "bulk fluid" that's not "anything special". Thinking they heard the words A-T-F on the phone and automatically (pun intended) said, that can't be right.

I completely agree with your last two sentences. Preponderance of the evidence laid out on this thread, older threads here and at the Kia/Hyun sites say ATF is the equivalent to PSF-3. In this case originally DexII/III.

This thread was started over 2 years ago and I wanted to bring it up now to see if anyone has any new and clearer info. I have visited this on Kia forums and all of the threads are older than this one and the info comes across like hearsay. Lots of opinions but not anything concrete or can be traced back to a reliable source in a convincing way. Even dealers can not give a consistent answer. That is not comforting.

Many are saying the SP 3 spec is just ATF. I don't have any trouble believing that but which one and can that be corroborated with a reliable source. I went to my local NAPA who has a good variety of products and not one said meets SP 3. I found one Asian Prestone product that says good for use in Kia/Hyndai. OK is that good enough for you? Maybe for many but If you are reading this forum, likely not.

If it is the same as ATF 3, that would be nice as that is what the Auto Trans calls for. Why buy and have to keep another automotive fluid around.?
but I don't not want to guess, assume or operate on hopeful thinking.

This is what I have found. I did call my local KIA dealer and was passed back and forth between Parts and Service and was eventually hung up on. So that was my answer. I dug in to find aftermarket products that are spec'ed to meet the PSF 3.

I picked up the multi vehicle AmsOil PSF at a Napa that carries AmsOil Products. It specifically lists Kia PSF 3 and 4. ......And more.

The Multi vehicle Lube Guard PSF could not be ordered by my local Napa. It was listed in a NAPA catalog they keep behind the counter , but when he went on his computer to order it would not take the number.

Some have assumed the KIA PSF 4 is backward comparable with the PSF 3. It may very well be, but, I don't like to assume.
It would be good to get an informed answer to this. Any Kia techs out there? feel free to chime in.

I only found two aftermarket Products that specifically say they cover the KIA PSF 3 spec. The Multi Vehicle Amsoil PSF and the Lubguard Multi Vehicle PSF. The Beck/Arnley Honda/Accura PSF will say it meets the KIA PSF 3 but not on the bottle. It is only listed their website.

I hope this helps folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back