Ceratec and Mos2 Discussion

Reviving an old topic perhaps.

I was having a discussion with some friends. We all swear by Mos2 and use it in our mowers, daily drives and sports cars. I personally have noticed an improvement in smoothness and fuel consumption by using mos2.

Keen to hear everyones experiences.

Anyhow, my friend's mechanic mentioned that Ceratec is better for alloy blocks, whilst mos2 is better for cast iron blocks? Is there any validity to this statement?

For the record, I add half a bottle to my s2000 (but only when im not using a group IV oil) and half a bottle to my diamante (which uses conventional).

A well respected member, Trav posted pictures of MoS2 settled in the bottom of an oil pan after he dropped the oil pan. Others had similar experiences, especially in vehicles that are not driven everyday. The product can and does fall out of suspension, and judging by the pictures I saw it didn't go back into suspension even after starting the engine and moving the car to where it was going to be worked on. As a result I wouldn't use it. Trav also mentioned Ceratec doing the same thing in an air compressor if memory serves me correctly.

Funny.....because I put a tad of LM MoS2 in my bike chain oil......and even after standing a year on the shelf that oil is still grey from the bottom to the top
smile.gif

May it be that Trav was playing with some MoS2 in powder he ordered somewhere on the internet.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
A well respected member, Trav posted pictures of MoS2 settled in the bottom of an oil pan after he dropped the oil pan. Others had similar experiences, especially in vehicles that are not driven everyday. The product can and does fall out of suspension, and judging by the pictures I saw it didn't go back into suspension even after starting the engine and moving the car to where it was going to be worked on. As a result I wouldn't use it. Trav also mentioned Ceratec doing the same thing in an air compressor if memory serves me correctly.

I have read these posts - Maybe its placebo, but I have observed nothing but benefits. Have also ran it in my 2 stroke mower (started 2 weeks apart). The fuel was still grey (i.e the moly hadn't separated to the bottom of the fuel tank).

Originally Posted by DV0993

I have read these posts - Maybe its placebo, but I have observed nothing but benefits. Have also ran it in my 2 stroke mower (started 2 weeks apart). The fuel was still grey (i.e the moly hadn't separated to the bottom of the fuel tank).

It's supposed to be added to the oil!?! Not the fuel......

Originally Posted by tcp71
In a 2 stroke the oil is mixed with the fuel.

Right but adding moly or ceratec to the fuel mix is probably not a wise thing to do.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Its how its aplied to 2strokes...

Good luck with your sparkplugs 'molyed'. Sounds asinine.

Haven't had any issues. In fact the mower starts easier and is quieter. IMO

But more importantly, I'm interested in the automotive applications.

I love the concept of MoS2 in oil.

But in practice? Meh.

I shared pics from our VW oil filter, which had ceratec agglomerated in it. That kind of did it for me.

I also derived mathematically the settling time for particles based upon established analytic work.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-particle-mos2-settling-time#Post2407575

Settling could be as fast as two weeks, or as long as three months, roughly...

Posting a link to my favorite thread on here
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4853520/2

middle of page 2 .. old study but still...

Here are the results. 600 ppm dinuclear moly with ZDDP (Blend 5) did best both in friction and wear. Note that it has the highest sulfur with 2,000 ppm (0.2%), which is at the ACEA C1 and C4 limit and close to the C2, C3, and C5 limit (0.3%).

So a healthy dose of good old MoS2 is proven to work. No placebo.
Dont expect miracles, sometimes it can take a lot of driving to notice any difference and if you take good care of the engine you may not notice anything at all.
Does not mean your wear/friction numbers arent better.
I also add a bit (10% of fill) of Magnatec Stop Start formula but thats just me.

Last edited:
I run recommend Archoil 9100 over either of these products listed above if you want solid boundary lubrication. Ester based vs LiquiMoly mineral base and in a 16 ounce bottle that four ounces treat roughly 4 qts. I'm now using Lubegard Biotech with M1 0w30 and it runs well.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Funny.....because I put a tad of LM MoS2 in my bike chain oil......and even after standing a year on the shelf that oil is still grey from the bottom to the top
smile.gif

May it be that Trav was playing with some MoS2 in powder he ordered somewhere on the internet.....

No it was LM Mos2

Originally Posted by DV0993

OK. You wanted to discuss it, unfortunately with these types of discussions expect to read good and bad reviews. FTR the product is not designed for two cycle engines, they advise against using it in them.

If I am not mistaken there is a discussion here that talked about using Ceratec in a oil burning vehicle. The spark plugs fouled badly.

I would think the same will happen in a 2 cycle engine.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I love the concept of MoS2 in oil.

But in practice? Meh.

I shared pics from our VW oil filter, which had ceratec agglomerated in it. That kind of did it for me.

I also derived mathematically the settling time for particles based upon established analytic work.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-particle-mos2-settling-time#Post2407575

Settling could be as fast as two weeks, or as long as three months, roughly...

I have no doubts as to the validity of these observations.
Ceratec has a ton of "soft" metals, which may have chelated(not a well educated guess). MoS2 is a different beer.
Moly settling on the bottom of the pan - oil pressure in a working engine would at least stir and bring some of that back into play. Seen youtube videos - shaking a clear plastic bottle of
oil and MoS2 visually brings things in suspension.
Would that settling time you calculated be in a container or in a operating engine?

Last edited:
Back