Internet speed doubled. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few minutes ago my Internet went down. Powered off/on router and modem. Internet came back. Last speed test was 115 Mbps. Now it is 230 Mbps. Here is the backstory.

Family member thought TV bill was too high. Last week called number on the Spectrum bill on how to reduce cost. Somehow they were connected to ATT. When the family member realized something was wrong they cancelled ATT. So they thought.

Last night I pointed out the $12.99 DVR you never use is not need. They agreed. I called Tech support to see if I had a current modem and pointed out I was not getting the rated 200 Mbps speed. I was told it was 240 Mbps at modem. Modem not needing upgrade. TP-Link router was cable of that speed.

This morning brought DVR into exchange for cable box. Was told I cannot do that since the phone was already ported to ATT.

I am thinking Spectrum thought they were going to loose a customer to ATT and better fix the slow speed. No change in hardware. Not complaining but just wondering do cable companies throttle internet?

Wow that is something. I'm still a little stuck on the whole calling the number on the Spectrum bill and getting connected to AT&T part though.

They always tend to increase the speed. I can't remember what speed I started out at, around 100 then it increased to around 200, now it's up to 300. But my modem can't seem to do more than 250 so now I need a new one that does a gigabit. Somewhat pointless as I don't really do anything where I need the increased speed.

comcast has been doing free speed upgrade every once in a while. they charge the same ,but give you more speed . when you rebooted your modem it reset something to get you more speed.

my experience with internet providers is they don't really give a hoot if you leave. not much competition out there . usually they just you a discount

I have to deal with Charter, now Spectrum at work. Picked the brain of one technician on a service call. He was laughing how someone complained about the price and switched their internet to ATT and came back once they realized how slow ATT was. That may be changing but for the price Spectrum internet is hard to beat.

100% "normal". Spectrum (and before that, Time Warner) routinely up'd our speeds and outside of their normal price increases, they didn't tie a higher price to it (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, in reality they were just 'delaying' the price change). Officially, Spectrum's "standard" speed plan is now 200 Mb/s down and 10 or 20 Mb/s up. Not all areas have been bumped but they will be.

Just speaking facts ^^ there. I'm not really a fan of Time Warner/Spectrum. Only use them for internet and while they're our only real option, I have no complaints about the service.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
They always tend to increase the speed. I can't remember what speed I started out at, around 100 then it increased to around 200, now it's up to 300.

Hehe, I remember when Time Warner Roadrunner internet was 10 Mb/s, then 15 Mb/s. Can't remember what later increments were in between those speeds and 60 Mb/s, which we stayed on for a good while (during the merger mostly). Then it jumped to 100 Mb/s. We're supposed to move to 200 Mb/s as well "soon". All that time, I never paid for higher speeds. I always remained on their base or standard speed package (not counting their "lifeline" or low-income service options).

Check it next week and it will be throttled back down
lol.gif

Last edited:
Sacrilegious as this may sound, I'd sell my soul for 100 mbs. I'd cut an appendage off for 50 mbs. My max is 16 Mbs if I'm lucky. I cry when I read threads like this one.

Originally Posted by kschachn
So did you call that number a second time and confirm it connects to AT&T?

Still trying to figure out things. Last night TCM (one of her favorite channels was blocked). She called Charter and got it back. I called Charter after her from number on the bill and got the message that someone just called. Then I talked to Tech support re: modem upgrade. According to her Spectrum said ATT is re-routing numbers to ATT when calling Spectrum. Does not sound right. Tomorrow she is going to call Spectrum to get the phone straightened out. Still works on Spectrum modem.

I am wondering if she had mail from ATT regarding getting a lower rate and called it after looking at her Spectrum bill? Does not matter. Double speed is double nice!

My last house I had 10 megs. Current house, I get all gigidy about, I have 18 megs.

LMAO. I do only pay $9.95 a month all taxes and fees includes, to include the modem rental, so I can live with the slowish internet.

Timing is everything. Very busy right now so the added speed is appreciated. I put Ubuntu on an newish IdeaPad since it was too slow for Windows 10. No change in speed according to Speed Test. Says 90 Mbps which is OK. Was the same with Windows 10. The HP laptop with the i5 is the one showing the doubling of speed which is my work horse.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Sacrilegious as this may sound, I'd sell my soul for 100 mbs. I'd cut an appendage off for 50 mbs. My max is 16 Mbs if I'm lucky. I cry when I read threads like this one.

I dunno... we held onto dsl for a long time until they give us a deal I liked for fios. They were begging us to switch.

Now we have 25/25 fios. We can surf the web, stream videos, and have a 4K movie playing on the TV at the same time.

Not sure how much more I'd need.

Granted sometime we had slow dns (see my other thread), but that's all gone now.

Cable bill for a person I support went up $10 recently. Our company provides internet through Spectrum for business stuff there. Same connection as the TV. Internet speed doubled. That jump in price was probably the reason for the initial call in search of cheaper TV. Someone has to pay for the infrastructure for things to go faster.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Cable bill for a person I support went up $10 recently. Our company provides internet through Spectrum for business stuff there. Same connection as the TV. Internet speed doubled. That jump in price was probably the reason for the initial call in search of cheaper TV. Someone has to pay for the infrastructure for things to go faster.

The infrastructure is probably just the switch at the other end. Those wear out and replacement ones were probably faster.

Hold onto your hats and wait for your rates to go up in a year or so!
I know, it happened to us years ago when Spectrum took over TWC.

It was great at first, speed was doubled, just out of the blue, no notice, no comments, it just was!
Great!
Then ... a year? later, hmmm ... all of a sudden we found out this new speed was now the min speed you can get from them, then along came the price hikes because the min speed was higher.
What do you know, we now pay Spectrum Internet 75% more then just a couple years ago! Up, 75% price increase since our speeds started increasing and there is no longer a slower/cheaper package.
We now pay $70 a month, we own our own router or it would be $75

These price increases are for one reason and its not for infrastructure. Its to replace lost revenue from falling Pay TV SUBSCRIPTIONS.
The price increases for the most part are pure profit. Ok, lets say my 75% price increase for example, MAYBE 10% if that much, paid for any additional infrastructure ... Just talking here, Im a skeptic ... *L* In case anyone hasn't noticed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back