Mixing transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have about 6 qts of penzoil. Can I mix with some max life when I do a drain and refill on the tranny? C

It's penzoil platnnum multi vehicle and max life multi vehichle

Last edited:
That maxlife is low viscosity, is the pennzoil?

Does your vehicle, spec the low viscosity fluid?

I would think you'd be fine as long as both met the required specs. Years ago I had to add a few qts. of ST Dexron III to Mobil 1 ATF while doing an ATF/filter change on my Buick Century (4T65E) because I only bought 5 qts. of M1.....it ran fine.

I'm getting heartburn...

I'll quietly leave the room.

grin.gif

Years ago when we had a bunch of leftovers we mixed several brands. Guess what...transmission didn't blow up. YMMV but I'd expect the same today.

You do a mix every time you do a drain/fill. If both fluids are compatible with your vehicle you're good to go.

Originally Posted by JTK
You do a mix every time you do a drain/fill. If both fluids are compatible with your vehicle you're good to go.

This
thumbsup2.gif
I just did a drain and fill on our Explorer that specs Mercon LV, which I was using previously for drain and fills, with Castrol Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. It's actually licensed by Ford for use in Mercon LV vehicles. It works just fine. As stated, make sure both fluids are spec'd for your vehicle.

Whimsey

2010 gmc Denali

I picked up the 6 qts on clearance from Home Depot.

Planning to do a full fluid change on the Denali. I'll double check but think they both met same specs

Last edited:
If the Pennzoil Platinum is the LV version it will be fine mixed with Maxlife. I have mixed PPLV and Maxlife in two GM vehicles with no problem.

If not the LV version I would not use it, just to be safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by JTK

This
thumbsup2.gif
I just did a drain and fill on our Explorer that specs Mercon LV, which I was using previously for drain and fills, with Castrol Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. It's actually licensed by Ford for use in Mercon LV vehicles. It works just fine. As stated, make sure both fluids are spec'd for your vehicle.

Whimsey

Exactly right guys ^^^^^^^^^

In my 04 avalanche tranny, there's a mix of castrol dex6, autozone dex6, max life atf, and a qt of penzoil dex/merc. Original trans and it runs like new. It has a drain plug so I'll do a drain and fill w maxlife when the gallon goes on sale again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back