New Michelin silicone wipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy silicone inserts from various sellers on eBay. They have generally come from Malaysia. They fit my OEM blades as well as aftermarket. There are at least a couple different "spine widths" (i.e. 6mm and 8mm) to choose from. I've had a pair in my OEM Mazda blades for about three years so far and they still work quite well. I pay about $8 for a pair of inserts.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Rain-X also has their new Advantedge Silicone Wiper Blades. Kinda pricey too but, it seem as others are jumping on the silicone wiper blade wagon as well. I wonder if they last forever! FOREVER!

I can say that the RainX Advantedge blades do not last forever. I put four total of these blades onto my two cars. One blade completely failed within 2 weeks; the center of the blade collapsed and no longer would wipe the center of my windshield. The remaining three started smearing black gunk onto my windshield within three months. I'm going back to Bosch Icons which reliably last over two years on the exact same cars.

That's not good!
If I hear more reviews like this, I will stay away from these and just keep buying my Rain-X Beam Wipers from places like OLLIE's & Big Lots for ~ $5/ea. I have a small stash in the basement for all the cars.

I bought 1 of the new top Michelin wiper blades (1 million wipes, not even close) and 1 rain x latitude at the same time for my yukon (same size on each side). The Michelin got hard in less than a year and was making a lot of noise. The rain X was still working great. I bought another rain x to replace the Michelin. That was 3 months ago. The old rain x blade is still going strong.

Last edited:
I love the Rain-X Beam Wiper Blades(Horizon/Latitudes/Repel). And although I love'em while they're working, they do seem to split(tear/run) along the flip/flopping(hinged) edge, at the top & bottom sooner than many other blades. I just snip off the lose end and keep'em running til I can't anymore. I don't think that I've ever gotten quite 2 yrs out of them. Where as, I have gotten longer life out of other blades but, I didn't care for their wiping quality as mush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Pardon my ignorance on this. I didn't get the memo. Are silicone wiper blades a new thing?

Not really. Brands like Silblade and Tripledge have been making them for decades. They do last longer and are more resistant to ozone, UV, and temperature extremes than natural rubber. But, they don't work well for every application. You basically have to try them out. I've had excellent results with the car I have now, but with my previous car silicone blades used to skip and squeak. Apparently, they are working their way into the mainstream now.

I have to have my motorcraft blades changed at least once a year on my f350 work truck they go bad awful quick for some reason. Ive had the bosch icon blades on my f150 for over a year and seem to be holding up real nice. I just wanted to say i cant beleive some of the cheapskates on this forum. Some wont buy oil if .25c more over a superior brand. Some wont buy without a discount of some sort or rebate. Some would put their vehicles engine at risk to run an inferior oil and filter to make up the cost for purchasing wiper blades! My god. What is wrong with you! Do you people even acually own a vehicle? Sounds to me these penny pinching tight wads either lease or rent and have absolutely no worries about what the end results are only that it was a cheap experience. You shame me.
I think if this type of mentality continues on this site it will glorify this forum as "bobisthe cheap oilguy" forbidding and misleading the true car enthusiast who want the best, and are willing to spend their hard earned money to get the best. Anyone for a new permanent thread "cheap people and penny pinchers only" group.
My rubber bosch icons cost over $20 and they say the silicon outlast rubber 2x. True or not i dont know, but i wouldnt buy the generic fits all brand in the corner with a $5 clearance sticker on them. I can tell you right now from experience your throwing away $5 and will be forced to again waste time to go back to the store to spend even more to get something that works. So save your cheapiness. Noone cares what "you" would or wouldnt buy because the price is too expensive for your cheap life, its what the other person feels comfortable spending the money and getting what he/she paid for that matters.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I bought 1 of the new top Michelin wiper blades (1 million wipes, not even close) and 1 rain x latitude at the same time for my yukon (same size on each side). The Michelin got hard in less than a year and was making a lot of noise. The rain X was still working great. I bought another rain x to replace the Michelin. That was 3 months ago. The old rain x blade is still going strong.

Rain X Latitude for me, the Rain X connector is the only one that fits VW other than OE, even the Bosch Icons don't fit well. They last a very long time, best wiper by a long shot IMO.

Are the Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades better than the PIAA & Trico NeoForms?

Since the dealer charges $20/blade, beam type from Sightline. They aren't impressive at all. Streaked under 1 year.

Looking for one that is Quiet, doesn't streak and last long.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
I have to have my motorcraft blades changed at least once a year on my f350 work truck they go bad awful quick for some reason. Ive had the bosch icon blades on my f150 for over a year and seem to be holding up real nice. I just wanted to say i cant beleive some of the cheapskates on this forum. Some wont buy oil if .25c more over a superior brand. Some wont buy without a discount of some sort or rebate. Some would put their vehicles engine at risk to run an inferior oil and filter to make up the cost for purchasing wiper blades! My god. What is wrong with you! Do you people even acually own a vehicle? Sounds to me these penny pinching tight wads either lease or rent and have absolutely no worries about what the end results are only that it was a cheap experience. You shame me.
I think if this type of mentality continues on this site it will glorify this forum as "bobisthe cheap oilguy" forbidding and misleading the true car enthusiast who want the best, and are willing to spend their hard earned money to get the best. Anyone for a new permanent thread "cheap people and penny pinchers only" group.
My rubber bosch icons cost over $20 and they say the silicon outlast rubber 2x. True or not i dont know, but i wouldnt buy the generic fits all brand in the corner with a $5 clearance sticker on them. I can tell you right now from experience your throwing away $5 and will be forced to again waste time to go back to the store to spend even more to get something that works. So save your cheapiness. Noone cares what "you" would or wouldnt buy because the price is too expensive for your cheap life, its what the other person feels comfortable spending the money and getting what he/she paid for that matters.

All I can figure is you're in Sales and you got rejected for not being competitive 2 minutes before this post.
lol.gif

lol best set of blades i ever had were the silicone "triple-edge" blades. they lasted years. since then i haven't tried silicone. there are piaa refills available if you have the right traditional frame and blade shape though but i haven't tried them

I buy the Michelins at Walmart, but not these. I get the $6 ones...they work fine for me...

Not the Michelin Silicone pictured, but I bought the Michelin "Hybrid" wipers from Costco last month for ~$6 each for my Toyota Tundra.

A bit of mess to get the correct converter on, but they work flawlessly. No other aftermarket wiper has worked. I have been using OEM Toyota wipers for 4-1/2 years, buying replacements about every 9 months.

I'm sold on these, will be getting a couple more pairs to hang on the wall for future use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back