Motul v Ravenol HTHS importance?

Hi guys, i'm going to change the oil in my 1.8 08-09(FN1) Civic... but I'd like to ask for some help. I have a bit more aggresive driving style, I like to rev the engine, but I also use it in city, not just on highway. At this moment, the car is running on 0w30 ravenol sso, but i'd like to move to 5w30

Reason : i have used 5w30 in the past and the oil consumption was around 0.3-0.5 liter while with 0w20(Motul Eco-lite with low 2.6 HTHS) or with 0w30(surprisingly high HTHS 3.57) I have around 0.8- 1L / 8000 km... I know the viscosity is the same, but the cold viscosity is not...anyway i'd like to try 5w30 again, but i dont know which one would be the best...

I was looking for :

Ravenol 5w30 VMP high shear resistance, high 3.6 hths, C3. Surely PAO oil.

Motul 5w30 Eco-clean 3.1 hths, C2. Dont know what kind of oil..

What do you think about them ? I dont care about fuel economy, so I was thinking to use the highest hths available in this viscosity grade.

Have you tried Supertech 5W30 as a baseline? You might be spinning your wheels with these special oils...... Pun intended.

If the engine was newer, I'd use the HTHS 3.1 oil (Motul). Since it is over 10 years old, I think the Ravenol will be best.

In the U.S., originally Honda thought 5w20 HTHS 2.6 was enough. Other parts of the world probably specified some 30 weight for it back then.
The Ravenol is more than enough. You could do OK on about anything HTHS 3.0-4.0. I would pick the Ravenol of your 2 choices.

As I know in Europe from the factory it was filled with 0w30, but then it was modified to 0w20 because they have had some problems with the oil pump chain.... I dont know if its true, or it was modified just to get the Euro5. I know a lot of people who are running with 5w40 even 5w50 (its a little bit overkill to me) and have no problems. I dont want to go above 30.

My opinion was the same, the Ravenol could be better... Thanks for the responses
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Nit0be
As I know in Europe from the factory it was filled with 0w30, but then it was modified to 0w20 because they have had some problems with the oil pump chain.... I dont know if its true, or it was modified just to get the Euro5. I know a lot of people who are running with 5w40 even 5w50 (its a little bit overkill to me) and have no problems. I dont want to go above 30.

My opinion was the same, the Ravenol could be better... Thanks for the responses
smile.gif

I wonder how it was modified to 0W-20?

well..... i mean the recommendation was modified, i dont know exactly the year. but officially the Honda have removed (obviously the printed version was not modified, that's impossible
lol.gif
) from the recomendations the 0w30, 5w30, 5w40 and the 10w40.

They have had some problems with the oil pump chain.They have said it was beacuse of the too thick oil and the chain it's too thin, so the only official oil for that engine is the 0w20. But some people have experienced higher oil consumption with that one.

Look hard at Redline 5w30 hths 3.7 pao/ester.

I see you are eastern block, motul 300v.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by burla
Look hard at Redline 5w30 hths 3.7 pao/ester.

I see you are eastern block, motul 300v.

i was looking for motul 300v, but i'm not sure if its good for a daily drive...officially its a racing oil, it has less dispersant additives then a standard oil.

[Linked Image]

Ravenol DXG 5W-30(GF-6A dexos 1 Gen 2ï¼
[Linked Image]

Ravenol RSP 5W-30(ACEA A3/B4ï¼
[Linked Image]

Ravenol REP 5W-30(ACEA C2/C3ï¼

[Linked Image]

300V 5W-30
[Linked Image]

Ravenol SSL 0w-40(ACEA A3/B4ï¼
[Linked Image]

300V 5W-40