Little Rainy Weather Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the little accomplishments. Started with a bit of frustration.....

Finishing a resto on an older utility and finally located an original bow light, they were out of production for a long time and are very cool looking. The housing and lenses are very well made, but the bulb holder was mounted to the light with what appeared to be automotive black rope caulk, or the 3m window caulk. There was a reflector, and the bulb socket was stuck to it with a wad of this stuff, irritating, but at least I had a nice housing and lenses. No way I was mounting this as is, but at least someone is reproducing the housings.

I did some research and decided to convert it to LED and looked at several ways, then settled on grafting an Atwood bow light into the housing. Took the new LED apart, spent a lot of time with a Dremel and a small drill and bedded it with 3M 5200 and here we go. Pics are of the light, the donor LED and a few test fits:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice job.
The chrome, lens and wood look really nice.
I'd like to see a photo of it assembled and installed on boat.

My Brother had one years ago and I told him, "I'd like to mount that as a hood-ornament on my vehicle"
It came with a 'red' and 'blue' lens / depending on if I wanted to be a Cop or Firemen that day.
But, I told him I didn't want it / dammm.

Add me to the list of people who like the details on boats.
There's a boat restoration shop in Ticonderoga, NY and when I went through it I noticed the "shiny items" come off, get restored while the rest of the boat gets rejuvenated then put back on last.
It's like an extended unveiling. Cool

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Very cool. I tried to replace my bulb with a LED but couldn't find one short enough one to fit without mods. Looks like I should do the same.
smile.gif

If you decide to go this route, I'd use an Atwood led unit. I needed to replace the bow light when I launched her at the end of last year and found some generic led light. Within about 5 hours, the stbd led would flicker with rpm changes...never failed completely and was bright at any steady rpm, but flickered with changes. I didn't care as this was my long term plan.

More pics of the finished light to come, but here is the boat. The somewhat cheesy Grant wheel was also a short term fix until I mounted a proper one....but I do like the Grant though, I may try and put a better finish on the wood.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Engine and motor oils details please.
grin.gif

Mercruiser MIE 260hp 5.7l V8, which sounds fantastic through the straight water exhausts by the way. Transmission is a BW Velvet Drive 1:1 spinning a 13x15 NiBrAl prop. She moves out quite well, but doesn't really have a no wake speed unless I am in and out of gear. I am currently running Mercury/Quicksilver 25w-40 semi synth, Sierra or Merc oil filters. I've cut both the Sierra and Merc filters and prefer Sierra, but they are both fine.

I was able to only glue the base plate, so I can replace upper part w/ the led's using the original screw. I will post a finished pic when I get her wired.

[Linked Image]

Done!

The led's work great, bright and the pattern is compliant. I was concerned about the additional lens dimming the output, but that isn't any problem at all; these are very bright.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RTexasF
They appear red & blue as opposed to red & green. Is it the camera perhaps?

Its the iPhone camera. The colors are very intense, not like w/ an incandescent bulb. They are red and green.

Originally Posted by Donald
The GM 5.7L engine is a great engine. Especially the marine engines with a 4 bolt main.

Did you do the interior upholstery or farm it out?

Yes it is.

The interior vinyl is mostly original. I gave it a really good, but careful cleaning and was also very careful where I had to remove the carpet and vinyl to deal w/ some soft wood in the rear seat base and a split in the motor box (from folks riding on it). Luckily the hull, stringers and floors are absolutely solid.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
It's the little accomplishments. Started with a bit of frustration.....

Finishing a resto on an older utility and finally located an original bow light, they were out of production for a long time and are very cool looking. The housing and lenses are very well made, but the bulb holder was mounted to the light with what appeared to be automotive black rope caulk, or the 3m window caulk. There was a reflector, and the bulb socket was stuck to it with a wad of this stuff, irritating, but at least I had a nice housing and lenses. No way I was mounting this as is, but at least someone is reproducing the housings.

I did some research and decided to convert it to LED and looked at several ways, then settled on grafting an Atwood bow light into the housing. Took the new LED apart, spent a lot of time with a Dremel and a small drill and bedded it with 3M 5200 and here we go. Pics are of the light, the donor LED and a few test fits:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very awesome work sir
smile.gif

Thank You for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back