2008 KIA Sportage - Super Tech 10w-30 Synthetic - 6,159mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA on my 2008 KIA Sportage with 131k miles. I'm not sure why the silicon level is elevated. I do live in the desert. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the Super Tech.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Very nice indeed!
Follow their instructions and check the air filter gasket and box seal. Could simply be from lots of road construction too...who knows? I mean, AZ is a dry state and not a lot of rain to keep particulates down the way we have here in the northeast.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies. No, I don't have a K&N filter. I use a Napa Gold filter. (Paper) I understand that it may be a sealing issue... But who knows?

Other than the silicon, it seems pretty good. TBN @ 2.7? Do you think that should be better? More TBN (Higher) does not necessarily mean less wear on the engine does it?

Originally Posted by JGmazda
Thanks guys for the replies. No, I don't have a K&N filter. I use a Napa Gold filter. (Paper) I understand that it may be a sealing issue... But who knows?

Other than the silicon, it seems pretty good. TBN @ 2.7? Do you think that should be better? More TBN (Higher) does not necessarily mean less wear on the engine does it?

2.7 is on the lower end of the spectrum after just 6,100 miles but it is likely pretty stable. Run it to 7,500 miles next and I suspect the TBN would likely remain pretty unchanged. Low wear rates but yeah check on any air leaks that Silicate is high.

Great results. I don't see how wear (iron ppm) could get any lower no matter what you used in that engine.
The extra AZ dust (silica dust) isn't hurting wear. It is probably very very fine particles getting through normal air filter porosity. AZ simply is dust rich.

Appreciate the replies everyone. ðŸ‘

I would say the oil is doing pretty good considering that many people consider it a "budget" oil...

I change the oil of course and have the same supertech 10w-30 in it now. I guess I'm wondering if I should try another oil down the road. ??

Right now I don't see why there would be any benefit with trying a Castrol or Pennzoil. Would you agree with that?

I will look at maybe a fram air filter to see if that might fix some of the silicon issue. And yes I agree, without rain it's very much a sandy-dusty environment out here in the valley of the sun.

JGmazda, an oil analysis shows some basics like wear, yet the big unknown is how clean the pistons are.
High mile engines can suffer from an accumulation of deposits which keep the rings from twisting and moving to keep it all sealed, resulting in oil consumption.
I tend to get the best "value" in oil at walmart by picking Castrol Extended Performance 5w30 or similar in Mobil1 Extended Performance, hoping it can keep the pistons cleaner than other oils.
Certainly a dexos1-rated 5w30 here on the Sportage, or use the high-performance Mobil1 0w40 (AZ is hot, so a 40 is OK) to get covered by better German oil specs. $25 per 5 quarts at walmart is cheap. ...
Wear would be similar to what you have already, but deposits could be less.

It's very interesting to see how these oils have different levels of additives. I would sumise that is why we are part of this community.

"SN" oil should be "SN" across the board. One would think? Marketing be as it may...

I'm watched the YouTube oil showdown where Supertech did surprisingly well (Project Farm)

And Warren manufacturing is a long standing company. I just am intrigued by it all...

With SN+ and DEXOS 1 requirements there is not a lot of variation. Just buy what is on sale ST is a good choice I bought it for my 2018 Silverado and I could not tell a difference between ST, Napa, Valvoline, PPHM, and AC Delco motor oils.

Originally Posted by dave1251
With SN+ and DEXOS 1 requirements there is not a lot of variation. Just buy what is on sale ST is a good choice I bought it for my 2018 Silverado and I could not tell a difference between ST, Napa, Valvoline, PPHM, and AC Delco motor oils.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Must admit, I had some reservation about the Supertech oil.. mainly because "marketing" gets in the way. But UOA tells the truth.

Originally Posted by JGmazda
Pretty much what I was thinking. Must admit, I had some reservation about the Supertech oil.. mainly because "marketing" gets in the way. But UOA tells the truth.

Not really. Like I said above, Blackstone has shown that among properly rated oils there is no statistically significant difference in wear metals via UOA.

What actually tells the truth is that the oil is SN Plus.

Originally Posted by SR5
Good looking UOA, it would be hard to get better than that.

I would just keep going with the ST 10W30 Synthetic.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by dave1251

Are you running ST now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back