I cannot conclude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently purchased a low mileage 2005 Ford Ranger FX4 w/ 4.0l engine.
The PO had taken it to a fast-lube place for all but the last several changes.
His low per year usage resulted in many 1 year/3,000 mile changes. Never did he go over 3,000 miles.
The engine made "normal noise" upon start-up. It sounded just fine.

I did my first oil change and used a Hastings and leftover 0W-30 synthetics.
The engine makes darn near no noise idling and no clicking at all at catch.

I'll never know if it's the good oil I used or the Hastings having a working ADBV or both.

I will continue with this combo of oil and filter.

I conclude you did something
it got better
therefore something you did made it better.
smile.gif

Maybe your new oil has cleaned the engine, or it simply "likes" what you used. I have a 2000 Ranger with the 4.0......it definitely ran quieter when I switched to Pennzoil Platinum. It never had any start up noise tho, just a noisy engine....my buddy who is a mechanic...dubbed it "old growly" early on. Now it doesn't.

'05 Ranger 4.0 is a Dohc. one chain is on the back of engine.. Its an expensive set up to fix. Clean oil is key in the tensioners or something.. Shorter OCI rather than longer. If you quieted down something, thats a good thing.

Originally Posted by andyd
'05 Ranger 4.0 is a Dohc. one chain is on the back of engine.. Its an expensive set up to fix. Clean oil is key in the tensioners or something.. Shorter OCI rather than longer. If you quieted down something, thats a good thing.

Incorrect. It's a SOHC engine, but you are right one chain is on the back.

These 4.0's are hit and miss, some die at 70k and some are fine to 300k on regular 5w30. I've seen it.

If it's quieter long after start-up then it's most likely the oil. Next oil change use the same oil and a different filter to see if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back