VW guys questions on the ea839 engine

My new Porsche has the ea839 engine which I believe calls for 508 or C2 oil. It's near impossible to find the correct spec and I don't have the manual in hand yet.

So the question. I'm still a little afraid of 20w oil in some applications. This is a 4500lb SUV with a turbo v6.

If I was to say I am not worried about warranty implications, what spec would be best for this engine? A40? C30?

Most trips will be 30 miles one way in mixed driving/traffic. Slight heavy foot driver. I hate the way my wife drives, it makes me sea sick ...

Last edited:
Audi forums are saying the new 508 oil has a dye added and it is checked if there is a warranty claim. Don't know that as a fact....just saying. Anyway, I use the new 508 oil in my 2019 Passat. Granted it is a four cylinder but I am using no oil, it is staying clear (I know, not a UOA) but so far no complaints.

The ea839 engine does specify 508.00/509.00 oil. That V-6 shouldn't be to hard on oil. I can't tell you what you should use. Castrol does make their Professional OE LL 3 oil, that is 5W30 504/507 and has the same dye in it as the LL IV.

C30 should be OK. (A40 has too much SA which some say could create more valve stem deposits on the DI engine.) In VW 2.0L turbos that spec 508 0w20, VW has been telling dealerships of possible problems if non-508-non-0w20 is used. Seems strange to me. C30 Mobil1 ESP 5w30 maybe.

Should you decide to have faith in Porsche-VW-Audi recommendations for 508, then suncoastparts.com right there in your local FL swampland, or ecstuning.com or rmeuropean.com will ship to you if your own Porsche dealer jacks the price up.

The 508 spec forces oil makers to put in zirconium chemical markers so Porsche would know you're not using the "right" oil. And its green-blue (teal or similar) to try to get technicians to use the right oil.

I wouldn't worry a second about using a xw20 oil. The engine as far as I can tell uses liquid cooled turbo bearings with wide main and rod mountings/caps with a demand controlled variable displacement oil pump. You could say the engine was designed around lower viscosity oil unlike many engines that could run almost anything and just back spec'd for CAFE reasons.
Personally I would not run a heavier oil in this if it calls for C20/508.00, the pump and the engine were not designed for it. This oil looks like it will fit the bill for that spec and includes the dye. Castrol is good stuff.

https://www.europaparts.com/castrol-edge-professional-0w20-long-life-iv-ge525771ldsp.html

Edit: This is interesting.

https://www.audi-technology-portal....-technologies/demand-controlled-oil-pump

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. There is some serious technology in that engine, they state C20 or 504.00 as the oil spec. I guess he will have to wait and see what the owners manual spec is.

Beercan, run to your Cayenne glove compartment and pull out the Owner's Manual. Its not on the web. It says Porsche C20 like what the Audi EA839 engines use, right?

Originally Posted by paoester
Beercan, run to your Cayenne glove compartment and pull out the Owner's Manual. Its not on the web. It says Porsche C20 like what the Audi EA839 engines use, right?

I will soon as I get it back. It's at the paint protection people right now.

Good links and info here thanks

manufacturers are stooping to all time lows to get you to use thinner oils!!! wondering whats recommended overseas. these oils are recommended-specd but if required must be supplied FREE!!!

Originally Posted by benjy
manufacturers are stooping to all time lows to get you to use thinner oils!!! wondering whats recommended overseas. these oils are recommended-specd but if required must be supplied FREE!!!

That engine? VW 502.00, Porsche A40.

Liquimoly Top Tech 6200. 0W20 VW 508 00. Online Euro shops have it. FCPEuro.com.

In Germany that engine is a C20/508.00 xw20 oil. They are not stooping to any low to force the use of xw20 in this engine. What is it you don't understand about the engine being designed specifically to operate with lower viscosity lubricants?
When Ford first back spec'd the 5.4 to 5w20 you knew it was a load of crap when they stated unless towing over x pounds, it was clear with that little proviso they were possibly sacrificing longevity and wear for CAFE credits but that is not the case with this and other engines designed specifically for these oils.

Your statement about being supplier free is incorrect. If the manufacturer said for example you must use this or that oil and no other brand and they have to perform the service or no warranty then yes they must provide it free but requiring oil that meets a spec no.

Originally Posted by Trav

In Germany that engine is a C20/508.00 xw20 oil. They are not stooping to any low to force the use of xw20 in this engine. What is it you don't understand about the engine being designed specifically to operate with lower viscosity lubricants?
When Ford first back spec'd the 5.4 to 5w20 you knew it was a load of crap when they stated unless towing over x pounds, it was clear with that little proviso they were possibly sacrificing longevity and wear for CAFE credits but that is not the case with this and other engines designed specifically for these oils.

Your statement about being supplier free is incorrect. If the manufacturer said for example you must use this or that oil and no other brand and they have to perform the service or no warranty then yes they must provide it free but requiring oil that meets a spec no.

Pretty much this.

Originally Posted by Trav
It's Understood the thickies bunch would comment. The key is lowered temperatues like we've said. You're right the slight drop in hot viscosity from a 0w40-->0w20 is handled well by an engine that cools the turbocharger enough, and has extra cylinder wall cooling, lowering the peak temperatures in the usual hot spots.

Engine oil can start from 1,000+ cSt visc no matter if its a 0w20 or 0w40, so the fancy oil pump has to be able to handle cold thick oil, and the difference running hot is only 6 cSt (8 to 14). I'd think you could reasonably use an HTHS 3.0 oil in this 0w20 HTHS 2.6 application without engine damage. ( VW really pushes 0w20 and warns quite a bit.) Even the oil squirters should handle the small hot difference. I'm guessing of course, and the real experts are at VAG.

Back to this Cayenne, if you are willing to defy the 508-C20 recommendation, maybe a higher HTHS 0w20 like Redline 0w20 will work fine, as it does have a higher HTHS 2.9 and KV100 9.1 (almost a 30 weight; compare to Pennz Platinum 5w30 at 3.0 & 9.8 !). This would give a person some extra for a hot FL climate & room for fuel dilution if present.
https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/0W20_MO_PROD_INFO.pdf
Recommend changing that oil every 8,000 miles or 1 year instead of Porsche's long 10,000 mile drains with 508-C20.

Owners Manul for a 2019 Cayenne (the S Model does have the thickie's favorite 504 oil, a diff engine designed to run hotter):
[Linked Image from cimg7.ibsrv.net]

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1119511-2019-cayenne-owners-manual-in-pdf.html

Originally Posted by paoester

Engine oil can start from 1,000+ cSt visc no matter if its a 0w20 or 0w40, so the fancy oil pump has to be able to handle cold thick oil ...

And it does, just fine. So does the rest of the engine, for the first 15-20 minutes of every drive.

An average 0W20 is around 1300 cSt at 0*F ( -18*C ) . About 150 X thicker than operating temps. And the engine doesn't blow up ...

So I will probably stick with the recommendation 20w with shorter than called for intervals at first. I'll do uoa even though I know they are not that usefull for engine wear.

I'm pretty sure the Cayenne S is mostly the same engine but with a different stroke and the additional turbo. So it stands to reason that the oil pump and squirters are capable of using 30w.

I do believe that an engine can be designed to use 20w and live a long life compared to an engine back specified to 20w. I just have to get over the hump and trust it's correct.

In other news I was told the car will be ready tomorrow. Ugh I leave tonight for Thanksgiving out of town until Monday ...ž

Picture from the ppf people
[Linked Image]

Back