'19 Ram 1500 Classic Diff Fluid Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Recently replaced my troubled F-150 for a Ram. I'm starting to prepare for future fluid changes and all seems about the same as my previous '16 Ram except for when I got to the Diff fluid section of the manual. For the rear axle, Ram now recommends 75w90, whereas before it was 75w140. I wondered if this was changed to mirror the new model Ram maybe? I'm sure if they recommend it, it's fine of course but I don't believe there were any physical changes to the axle.

I'm planning on going Amsoil regardless but maybe 75w110 would be a good option?

On my 2017 there were two different viscosity recommendations depending on the manual revision. If you tow regularly or heavy go with the 75W-140. I does get a little warm where you are located. I ordered a magnetic drain plug for mine. Just waiting for it to come in.

Originally Posted by panthermike
I'm planning on going Amsoil regardless but maybe 75w110 would be a good option?
I would use it with no hesitation whatsoever. 75W-110 is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the J306 tables were updated. if you tow a lot I would also consider 75W-140. Amsoil is great oil and you cannot go wrong no matter which viscosity you choose.

What gears does your 2019 classic have?

Per the owner's manual for my 2017 Ram 1500 4x4, pentastar, 3.21 gears, it recommends 75w85 for the front diff (I plan to use regular old 75w90), 75w140 for the rear diff and some unique BW44-44 Mopar fluid for the transfer case that all 2016+ are supposed to use.

I have a thread on that one with nothing but tumble weeds rolling by and crickets chirping.

Last edited:
This is a pertinent post to me. My ‘18 F150 calls for 75-85 oil in the 9.75 diff with 3:55 gears. My old ‘11 with the 9.75 called for 75-140 which I'd love to use in the ‘18. Does anybody see anything wrong with my thinking? I can't imagine that much has changed clearance wise that a lighter oil would be necessary. I'm thinking the EPA has something to do with this...

Originally Posted by double vanos
This is a pertinent post to me. My ‘18 F150 calls for 75-85 oil in the 9.75 diff with 3:55 gears. My old ‘11 with the 9.75 called for 75-140 which I'd love to use in the ‘18. Does anybody see anything wrong with my thinking? I can't imagine that much has changed clearance wise that a lighter oil would be necessary. I'm thinking the EPA has something to do with this...

As long as you use a good synthetic....I see no problems what so ever. My 2018 RAM 1500 2wd 3.6/8 speed auto calls for 75W140. In a 6 banger!!! But I changed it early when new and put in RedLine 75W140 so I won't have to worry about until I hit 60-70 thousand miles. I don't pull/haul anything heavy. I could've probably used 75W110 and been ok....but what the heck.

Originally Posted by double vanos

I would run the 75W-140, the shift to a lower viscosity oil is totally CAFE based.

Originally Posted by JTK

Per the owner's manual for my 2017 Ram 1500 4x4, pentastar, 3.21 gears, it recommends 75w85 for the front diff (I plan to use regular old 75w90), 75w140 for the rear diff and some unique BW44-44 Mopar fluid for the transfer case that all 2016+ are supposed to use.

I have a thread on that one with nothing but tumble weeds rolling by and crickets chirping.

My truck has the 3.21 as well. I'll probably use the 75w110 as a happy medium and 75w90 in the front. I was trying to find out some info as well on the BW44-44 fluid as well. Seems hard to find though, some folks use ATF. Even Amsoil says that their MV Trans fluid is suitable. I may just use the Mopar stuff even though it's expensive, at least it's only a <2qt job.

I was trying to find out some info as well on the BW44-44 fluid as well. Seems hard to find though, some folks use ATF. Even Amsoil says that their MV Trans fluid is suitable. I may just use the Mopar stuff even though it's expensive, at least it's only a

That's the big question. I have yet to see anything online in regards to someone draining/filling a 2016+.

Lots of 2015 and under posts and videos, but it's a mix of borg warner 44-45's and the older 44-44s.

There's 2 different part numbers for Mopar 44-44 T-case oil. One for up to 2015 and the other for 2016+.

Good thing is the diffs and T-case are super easy to service on these, especially with the pentastar. No exhaust or x-members in the way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
I was trying to find out some info as well on the BW44-44 fluid as well. Seems hard to find though, some folks use ATF. Even Amsoil says that their MV Trans fluid is suitable. I may just use the Mopar stuff even though it's expensive, at least it's only a

That's the big question. I have yet to see anything online in regards to someone draining/filling a 2016+.

Lots of 2015 and under posts and videos, but it's a mix of borg warner 44-45's and the older 44-44s.

There's 2 different part numbers for Mopar 44-44 T-case oil. One for up to 2015 and the other for 2016+.

Good thing is the diffs and T-case are super easy to service on these, especially with the pentastar. No exhaust or x-members in the way.

Hmmm, that's interesting on the xcase fluid. Let me know if you find anything!

It would be interesting to find out exactly what the T-case oils are. Anybody willing to drain a couple of ounces out and get'em tested?

Originally Posted by JTK

My truck has the 3.21 as well. I'll probably use the 75w110 as a happy medium and 75w90 in the front. I was trying to find out some info as well on the BW44-44 fluid as well. Seems hard to find though, some folks use ATF. Even Amsoil says that their MV Trans fluid is suitable. I may just use the Mopar stuff even though it's expensive, at least it's only a

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4134618/1

Chrysler did this with my Jeep. ‘99 models took 80w90 whereas later models took 75w140.

I'd personally want 1 fluid that can fill both diffs, but it's all about personal preference.

Below is the MSDS for the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case fluid 68089195AA, which I assume the part number applies to all 44-44 models. I'm not well versed on deciphering the material properties listed in the MSDS, but it is red in color and seems to share properties of a standard ATF. Best I can tell, the only 'special feature' of the BW44-44 transfer case is that it has a clutch pack in it similar to what you'd find in an AT. Not really sure if this is special or not for this application.

https://torqueking.com/content/lubricants/msds/Mopar_68089195AA_MSDS.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back