Did They Really Change My Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hunter9296
Seems like taking a vote shows somewhere around half say it was changed and half say no.

Incorrect.

Many are saying they left SOME old oil behind.

If you can share the mileage on the old oil and your recollection of color at that mileage when you did your own oil change, then you'd get more definitive answers.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
Seems like taking a vote shows somewhere around half say it was changed and half say no.

Incorrect.

If they left some old oil behind it was still an oil change. Not a great one, but technically an oil change.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by CharlieBauer

Incorrect.

If they left some old oil behind it was still an oil change. Not a great one, but technically an oil change.

My point exactly! I think they did an oil change, just a lousy one. As soon as the drain/extractor flow slowed, they quit, refilled with oil and called it good. Additionally, and I don't quite know how to describe it, but the paper towel photos sorta make me think this too.

Hey, at least they put the drain plug back in! I had VIOC leave mine out of my 1987 Maxima, back in 1997 or so. Drove it a few miles before realizing it was knocking, and took it to Firestone, where they installed a new plug and filled with oil. Car quit knocking and I drove it for thousands of miles after that.

The underlying premise to the whole thing doesn't hold water for me. For the theft of the customer provided oil (not filter because why steal the filter? Again, non-sensical) to occur, the tech that stole it would have to do so without at least 1 other tech (possibly up to 2 others) noticing the usage of standard oil where non-standard was specified on the ticket.

If that tech is crafty enough to pull that off, he wouldn't be working at an oil change place.

Then there's motive. Why would an oil change place employee steal a customer's oil when he could just steal it from his place of employment much easier and with less chance of being caught??

Answer: he wouldn't...

Call me an armchair QB, tell me hindsight is 20/20, whatever, you'll be right regardless. But that doesn't change the fact that some careful analysis of the situation to begin would have answered the question being posed here in the first place.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I would rather not automatically assume the worst case scenario about others' intentions. I prefer to let them prove they are worthless dirt bags than just guess at it...

After seeing the pictures, I'm going to stick with what I wrote earlier. It looks to me like a fast oil change was done and a lot of oil was left behind. Which begs the question was the oil level correct after the job was allegedly completed? No dealer, shop, or quick lube place is going to allow even a 30 minute drain of oil, let alone 2 hours, unless they're doing other work like brakes, tire rotation, etc. Quick in and out for oil changes, time is money, and there's no big money in oil changes. I'd be interested in seeing how quickly the fresh fill the OP did changes color. A rapid change in color could indicate there is a lot of varnish, etc. in the engine and the fresh oil is doing some fast initial cleaning.

My 2013 santa fe has had constant oil changes every 6000kms with synthetic. I warm it right up and I let it drain on my hoist until it has completely stopped dripping. I also pull the (top mount canister) oil filter out before I drain to make sure there is no suction keeping any old oil in the canister. Fill to specs and start the engine for 10 secs, turn it off and check the level. The result?- It looks just like that--- Thanks GDI motor. It was changed, with what oil? No idea. But it was changed. Don't worry about it.

If this worries you, you should start DIY'ing it. That's how most people end up here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by STIcandy
My 2013 santa fe has had constant oil changes every 6000kms with synthetic. I warm it right up and I let it drain on my hoist until it has completely stopped dripping. I also pull the (top mount canister) oil filter out before I drain to make sure there is no suction keeping any old oil in the canister. Fill to specs and start the engine for 10 secs, turn it off and check the level. The result?- It looks just like that--- Thanks GDI motor. It was changed, with what oil? No idea. But it was changed. Don't worry about it.

If this worries you, you should start DIY'ing it. That's how most people end up here.

Yep. I changed the oil (Castrol Edge 0W-20) on my fiancee's 2018 Civic 1.5T that has about 20,000 miles about 2500 miles ago. Just checked the dipstick yesterday and couldn't believe how dark the oil is already.

I'm the OP. To answer some of the questions, the oil on the dipstick is just a tad under the full mark. The oil had 6K on it. I can't remember ever checking the oil color immediately before I done a change on it. And to "The_Nuke", there is definitely a possible motive for the tech. It's always the same motive... money!!! When he jumped in my car in the lot all he had to do was transfer the oil and filter to his car. Then he could just pull mine in and screw around with it for 10 minutes and call it done. Then he could take the oil and filter to Walmart and get a refund and stick my $40 in his pocket.

And to share another story like the guy had happen to him with the Harley, I took my wifes car to a quick lube place many years ago. They advertised a price for a change with 5 quarts of oil. I had changed the oil in it myself before and new it held exactly 4 quarts of oil. It even said in the owners manual 4 quarts. I asked them how much it would be for 4 quarts. The lady gave me a lower price. Then when they got done with it she told me the total and I said what the $%&@? She said it held 5 quarts of oil and that my oil drain plug stripped out and that was like $8. And after I got home and looked at the plug, it was the same olé greasy grimy plug that was in it. Some of these places are total ripp offs.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Have you checked the filter to see if it was changed?

Refer to my post on 11/24 at 12:42AM.

Last edited:
Ok, you're not a troll. I was mistaken.

You are a "victim".

You display all the classic signs of wanting something for nothing. Sympathy, money, justice....and all based on a dirty paper towel. You are publicly accusing a person of theft and fraud. Of course, you're doing it on the internet, which solves nothing. You're pleading your case to a faceless mob who already hold bias against shops, techs, and basically anyone who works on automobiles that isn't themselves. If this were a legit matter, you'd be handling it privately and we'd never hear about it.

So I was wrong, and I sincerely apologize. I misidentified you, and that was coarse of me.

mom got ripped off by honda dealer not changing the filter even though they charged her for it. how do i know. i did the oil change before the one at the dealer and the one after the dealer one. the same non honda filter was still on there when i changed it. that is how i know.

OP, if you're going to a shop for an oil and filter change, suggest you mark the old filter if same brand is being installed, and check the oil color on the dipstick before the oil chang and again before leaving the shop.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
OP, if you're going to a shop for an oil and filter change, suggest you mark the old filter if same brand is being installed, and check the oil color on the dipstick before the oil chang and again before leaving the shop.

That was a trick I used years ago, only for a tire rotation. I needed an oil pan gasket replaced under warranty in one of my vans. I made an appointment after the diagnosis and noticed they did an $8 tire rotation at the time. I was due so why not. I marked the tires. When I went back to pick up the van I checked and noticed they weren't rotated. I gave the service writer the benefit of the doubt and asked if the tires were rotated and he said YES. I asked if he was sure and he called the tech over. The tech swore up and down he rotated them. Then I showed them how I marked the tires and knew they weren't touched. At that point they offered to do the rotation. I said NO WAY, take the $8 off the bill and you lost a customer. The last thing I was going to do was give them a chance to do something spiteful. OP if possible do your own work, or take it to someone you can trust.

Originally Posted by Red91

You are a "victim".

You display all the classic signs of wanting something for nothing. Sympathy, money, justice....and all based on a dirty paper towel. You are publicly accusing a person of theft and fraud. Of course, you're doing it on the internet, which solves nothing. You're pleading your case to a faceless mob who already hold bias against shops, techs, and basically anyone who works on automobiles that isn't themselves. If this were a legit matter, you'd be handling it privately and we'd never hear about it.

So I was wrong, and I sincerely apologize. I misidentified you, and that was coarse of me.

Seriously dude? You really have nothing better to do than roam this site accusing people of being something their not then lowering yourself to the level of personal attacks because you disagree with them?

Originally Posted by Red91

You are a "victim".

Seriously dude? You really have nothing better to do than roam this site accusing people of being something their not then lowering yourself to the level of personal attacks because you disagree with them?

welcome2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back