2018 charger ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the sonata was smashed by a huge deer. looking at a 2018 charger with the V6 and 8speed auto. anything i should really look out for? it has 47k miles. one owner clean carfax. priced appropriately according to carfax and edmunds. dealer offers a lifetime warranty which i know is BS because they require everything to be done there or "pre-approved" i called dodge and they pulled the VIN said it would have the remainder of the 60k powertrain warranty but the dealership window sticker says "no warranty" thoughts? just bought a santa fe there 3 months ago --will i sounds like an idiot asking for a better price since i just bought a vehicle there? i hate buying cars--what do you guys think about all of this

You'll sound like an idiot for not asking for better price. There's always wiggle room. Never hurts to ask.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Check and see how much a new 2019 Charger would cost with all the rebates going on now. You might be surprised.

yes the brand new ones are barely more expensive right now, but this one has all of the extras (which i don't care about, but i won't be driving it.) the original sticker was $31k and they're asking just under 21

Last edited:
I love love LOVE my 300, which has the same exact drivetrain as the Charger you're looking at. They're basically the same car in fact.... only issue I can think of is the 8.4" Uconnect is known to have issues, they switched suppliers and updated the unit for 2018. Otherwise, it's the same V6 they've been using since 2011, and the 8 speed is phenomenal.

Afterthought: my brother bought a 2018 Charger Daytona 5.7 last December. He hasn't had a single issue with it. He's barely broken 10k on it though, my 300 has over 60k.

Last edited:
IMO there's a good reason why previous owner got rid of it at 47k. Forecast reliability is nowhere near what I'd consider getting into when a long payment plan is involved; best of luck with your choice and probable purchase though. You seem to have had pretty good luck with Hondas... nothing there suits your fancy?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
IMO there's a good reason why previous owner got rid of it at 47k. Forecast reliability is nowhere near what I'd consider getting into when a long payment plan is involved; best of luck with your choice and probable purchase though. You seem to have had pretty good luck with Hondas... nothing there suits your fancy?

Another co-worker had a major Subaru engine malfunction last week. That is 4 blown engine/head issue Subarus that belong to people I see on a daily basis, in the last 2 years or so. The saving grace was the one last week had 140k miles on it. By far the most mileage of the four. If the OE wants something more bulletproof I would stay away from the subies and head for the Toyotas.

47k on a 2018 makes me think it was a rental car.

Should be a good car. They've been making the charger so long the kinks are all worked out. I have the 8 speed in my truck and haven driven a 300 a good bit with the V6/8spd and it is an outstanding combo imo.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
only issue I can think of is the 8.4" Uconnect is known to have issues, they switched suppliers and updated the unit for 2018.

What sort of issues? I haven't noticed anything on mine.

we bought a 2018 CPO santa fe that was a rental so it came with the full 100k warranty. as far as honda's, yes the accord went over 500k miles but since then their trans are weak and i am purposely avoiding CVT's-- my si is a manual

Originally Posted by dareo
I would want a better price. That car should have big discounts.

like what? brand new it was 30-31 and the only ones new that are a few thousand more, are base models or located in downtown dallas area.

47k on a 2018 makes me think it was a rental car.

the car check (similar to carfax) and carfax indicate it was personal use-- this part of texas, just going to the grocery store is a 30 mile round trip. wife's sonata was bought brand new in late 13 and was just totaled with 156k miles and she was just shuttling kids, going to work, and a couple trips so pretty much 2k per month s

Originally Posted by sloinker
If the OE wants something more bulletproof I would stay away from the subies and head for the Toyotas.

I never mentioned Subarus; maybe you should check your bias. I clearly referenced OPs success with Honda's and suggested he check those out, especially since OP didn't mention wanting to purchase an appliance with 4 wheels and no personality (every Toyota outside of the BMW Supra). BTW, you do realize your beloved Toyota owns a very healthy portion of Subaru (formerly Fuji Heavy Industries)?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
only issue I can think of is the 8.4" Uconnect is known to have issues, they switched suppliers and updated the unit for 2018.

What sort of issues? I haven't noticed anything on mine.

Before I purged my Facebook a few weeks ago I remember seeing a lot of 2018+ models having issues with them locking up and/or going into a boot loop. I wouldn't be afraid of it though...

op, if you're worried about the reliability of it Mopar does offer their "Maxcare" warranty which is excellent.

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/m...imum%20Care%20Brochure%2081-770-2080.pdf

Charger is an old platform, sedan sales stink, especially large sedans, that is why i would want a big discount. I would put a target discount of 10k off brand new. 47k miles should be 60% of new msrp or less. Im just saying search far and wide and you may be able to do better.

Quick check of autotrader and SXT v6 are in the 19k range and v8 RT package 27k. Brand new.

Last edited:
Also i would not buy a 2018 with that kind of miles. Why not buy a 2016 instead and save a ton? The cars didn't change much at all did they? When your 3+ years old you get off lease cars dumped into the market making the prices go way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back