Project farm testing a 70 yr old oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted by shrooms
TBN .04.

Ouch.

Yup I saw that VOA and found it amazing how bad the oil was back then, kinda seem's like a dead oil.
Now I know why my 70's, 80's cars only made it to around 100,000 miles before smoking like chimney's.

I remember 48+- yrs. ago Quaker State had what most called Non-Detergent oil that had a Green Ring painted on top of the can. All I seen with the green ring was straight SAE 30.
I think Red ring painted on top of cans was call Detergent (modern for the time). Usually 10w-30 I think.

Could this be non-detergent oil?
No expert here.............

Originally Posted by Bebop367
I remember 48+- yrs. ago Quaker State had what most called Non-Detergent oil that had a Green Ring painted on top of the can. All I seen with the green ring was straight SAE 30.
I think Red ring painted on top of cans was call Detergent (modern for the time). Usually 10w-30 I think.

No expert here.............

6ppm calcium, 475ppm Phosphorus, and 509ppm zinc. That's all that showed up!
crazy2.gif

My QS from the early 70s is still good with TBN at 5.0 with 1811 miles and 4.5 YEARS in the sump. Mine was all stored in a cellar for almost 50 years. I wouldnt be surprised if this free oil he got was from a shed somewhere.

High lead from wash down of C16 and leaky SU's before fixing them but I've been doing this for 7 years actually in an engine with no problems. Thanks for running the test on your bench grinder and freezer though Project Farm.
smirk2.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4603932#Post4603932

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Macgyver would not hesitate to use this oil in a pinch. He would add a pinch of rock salt, a glob of tree sap and roughly an ounce of shaved Big Red chewing gum foil into the oil.
After viciously shaking the mixture, Mac would strain the oil through his sock into the engine of the vehicle that just happened to be stored where he is being held hostage.
After making some gas out of Diet Rite soda and generic deodorant, he would crash through wall safety.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I refuse to give his channel another view.

WHy?

This video was actually pretty informative.

No... he doesn't test each oil in a $5,000,000 lab.
But that doesn't mean this video is worthless.

Originally Posted by Bebop367
Quaker State had what most called Non-Detergent oil that had a Green Ring painted on top of the can.

I'm pretty sure you are correct.

Originally Posted by Tone
You couldn't even expect a camshaft to last with that oil.

Well........ actually, when we did engine rebuilds back in the 70's and 80's - -
*All we ever used* was a good, quality (usually MAC oil from NAPA) ND-30 for EVERY break-in.
Aside from some ridiculously huge flat mechanical lifter can, this oil would do just fine.

I never viewed his YouTube channel and never intend to. There's enough jokers on YouTube the way it is.

Originally Posted by Linctex

WHy?

This video was actually pretty informative.

No... he doesn't test each oil in a $5,000,000 lab.
But that doesn't mean this video is worthless.

This. I find the tests on the channel interesting even though some of the members here might find them not to be an accurate measure. It is cool to see how the different oils compare, especially something like 70 year old engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back