Tire Balance Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the tire shop getting some tires installed and the tech said that one of the tires was not balancing correctly. He stated that it was calling for 14.5 oz. on one side -- suggested I should get a replacement and that the tire was defective (I bought the tires online, they were just the installer.) He put the old tire back on which balanced fine, indicating it was not a bent wheel, rather a fault of the new tire.

I know nothing about tire balancing, is 14.5oz cause for concern / indicative of a defective tire? I trust these folks and will proceed with replacement, just wondering how far outside of normal this tire's balancing issue is.

A normal car tire takes around 0-2 ounces of weight per lip, .75-1.25 is average.

14.5 there is something seriously wrong.

When asking to balance tires, make sure the shop has a road force tire balancer and someone who KNOWS how to use it.
If they have they'll be able to balance 99.9% of the tires

I've always had the impression that a top brand tire needs hardly any weights. That's just been my experience and I have no data to support it.

I'd be worried about a tire that needed 14.5 oz on one side.Your tire shop made a good call.

too many balance machine operators have no idea what they are doing including the dealership
14.5 OZ which is almost a pound (SMH) means I would go somewhere else

Originally Posted by Excel
too many balance machine operators have no idea what they are doing including the dealership
14.5 OZ which is almost a pound (SMH) means I would go somewhere else

That was my thought as well. A tire of that size wouldn't have more than 4 oz in the worst case, so I think the operator did something wrong and didn't recognize it. Best guess is he didn't get the wheel flush against the mounting surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back