Leaky Honda Civic Oil Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '97 Honda Civic HX is marking its territory and making a mess on my driveway. It's certainly not worth fixing, so at this point I'm looking to slow/stop the mess. I'm currently running Mobil 1 0w30 which I'm sure is on the thin side of things and not helping anything. Any suggestions on what I should run next (oil/weight)? I live in Kansas where temps will get down to single digits this winter. I was thinking either a 10w30 high mileage, 0w40 or even 15w40. Thoughts?

Try a HiMi with a viscosity suitable for your temps (a 5w or 10w should suffice) but don't hold your breath that it's gonna stop the leak entirely. The window of opportunity to keep those seals from failing on your 22yr old car may have long since closed on ya. The best you might hope for is a slowing of the leak IMO. But give it a try, you have nothing to lose at this point.

And don't expect overnight results, it could take several thousand miles to notice any difference (for the seal chemistry to have an effect if at all. They may be just to far gone by now).

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to see if you can tell where the oil is leaking from. Chances are it may be an easy fix such as a
valve cover gasket or a cam seal. I would clean the motor up good and try to find the source. May be an easy fix..

A stopleak product and constant high mileage oils to maintain the swolen seals. cant hurt.

Last edited:
10w30 grade of an high mileage oil.

or just consider fixing the gasket and saving her... don't backstab such a loyal car. ;-)

Good suggestions here. If you really can't fix it or don't want to and the suggestions here don't work, get a metal drip pan and park over it. At least that way you won't be messing up your driveway.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Good suggestions here. If you really can't fix it or don't want to and the suggestions here don't work, get a metal drip pan and park over it. At least that way you won't be messing up your driveway.

That works..or go the El Cheapo route and use a foil pan from the Dollar store. Punch a long branch through it for easy sliding under the car. ...

Yes find the source of the leak.

Check the VTEC solenoid on the back of the head near the distributor. It has oil under pressure and will leak like crazy when the o-ring type gaskets get old. There are two, one between the valve body and the head, and one between the solenoid plate on top and the valve body. Two electrical plugs and five small bolts are involved to replace the gaskets.

1997? 10-30, 10-40, 10-30HiMi, 10-40HiMi, 20-50, or a bottle of stop leak (chemical), or a portion of a bottle of stop leak (thick goo), all have their place. I personally like the idea of a 10-30HiMi oil and seeing what kind of difference it makes over 3,000 or more miles. If more is needed, step the next OC up to the next in the list.

10w30 M1 high mileage synthetic

Thicker than a regular 30wt, great base stocks and add. pack

I'm going to run it in my high mileage Ct200h that burns oil

I spent hrs researching the majority of high mileage synthetic oils and imo this one seems to be the best according to data sheets

Last edited:
Maxlife rules with leaks. It may take 3K miles but it will slow or stop your leak, unless you have something going on that really needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back