If you can't buy time, should you retire as early as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice thing is retirement can allow you to only work part time if you want. It can also allow you to just up and quit if you aren't enjoying it. Something your regular work life probably didn't allow.

To me retirement isn't necessarily not working. It is not having to work full time and doing more fun "me" or "us" stuff.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Your question has many dimensions and the answer will vary greatly by individual.
Most of us could greatly reduce our expenditures to retire earlier, but we don't want to and if you're any good at a job you're experienced in, it's easy money anyway.
My personal take is that I find my job enjoyable most of the time and I'll compromise pension with age and retire in two years.
As they used to say, YMMV.

Umm...no, it's not. Some jobs yes, but to say that about all jobs? Nope. Not by a long shot. It's EASIER than when you were new, but it's in no way "easy".

As soon as I humanly can, without compromising lifestyle too much, I am absolutely going to retire.

You've alluded to how difficult and stressful your job is in this and other threads.
What exactly is it that you do to earn a living?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Your question has many dimensions and the answer will vary greatly by individual.
Most of us could greatly reduce our expenditures to retire earlier, but we don't want to and if you're any good at a job you're experienced in, it's easy money anyway.
My personal take is that I find my job enjoyable most of the time and I'll compromise pension with age and retire in two years.
As they used to say, YMMV.

Umm...no, it's not. Some jobs yes, but to say that about all jobs? Nope. Not by a long shot. It's EASIER than when you were new, but it's in no way "easy".

As soon as I humanly can, without compromising lifestyle too much, I am absolutely going to retire.

You've alluded to how difficult and stressful your job is in this and other threads.
What exactly is it that you do to earn a living?

Customer service and satisfaction.

Interesting thread. Actually read it end to end.

Any funerals I attend are folks in their late 80s/early-mid 90s. Until very recently. A close friend lost his father in his mid 60s. Scary, sad stuff. Made me give all these sort of things some thought.

But now getting close to 40, I'm sure there's more to start to concern with. I don't exercise enough. I don't eat junk, but I probably don't eat "right", whatever right is. Now is the time to excel with career, but it's also time to set a strong basis for long term health and well-being.

And there's so much misinformation, questionable information, changes left and right of what's good, or bad, and then back to good. Have to wonder in the crowd that some on here claimed died had what types
of bad habits relative to eating and exercise. And how much of it is just genes.

I love my job, I can see me working until my kids have kids and I want to spend all my time playing with babies. Hard to tel if that's a smart long term plan or not. Certainly working let's you find hobbies, which spurs curiosity and interests, activity and on and on. It would hurt more to self finance even with a good nest egg.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Nice thing is retirement can allow you to only work part time if you want. It can also allow you to just up and quit if you aren't enjoying it. Something your regular work life probably didn't allow.

To me retirement isn't necessarily not working. It is not having to work full time and doing more fun "me" or "us" stuff.

That's what I plan on doing in 3 years time. The initial plan was for both my wife and I to fully retire in 2022 (we will both be 52 years old then), and start spending winters in Florida. But now the plan is for both of us to work during the fall and the spring, still spend our winters in Florida and have the summers off too. This will allow us to have a bit more financial breathing room, while still allowing us to achieve our main goal of "retirement" (escaping to Florida for the winters)

No matter how much your job pays, it can't buy back missed time with family and friends...retire as early as possible...

Originally Posted by grampi
No matter how much your job pays, it can't buy back missed time with family and friends...retire as early as possible...

Yep. No need to be working once you become financially set.

You don't want to be like Ruth Ginsburg 90% dead and still working.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
There was an actuarial study I read once. People who retired at 55 had on average 25 years of retirement, and people who retired at 65 had on average 18 months of retirement.

That sounds about right. I retired at 53 and am now 79. I have never missed one hour of the day to day 8 hour grind!! (I am in good health, going strong and doing as I [censored] well please. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back