Who has use or loose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 12 days to use. Ididn't use much leave this year. I think Dec 6 is my last day for the year.
Major shop cleaning, intake gasket set on the 90rado and more work on the 53. Is my plan. Also need to make a salvage yard search.

My work has it, max of 240 hours carry over, but can go over that during the year.
Our fiscal year is July 1 to June 30, so I am only half way through my year, I think I have 250 hours right now, and get ~7 more every 2 weeks.

I rarely take off, and like to keep as much time as possible "just in case" since our time is both vacation and sick time.

We roll time to a point but encourage our people to take vacation. We switched to a PTO style this year. No sick/vacation days, just a set amount of days off.

They used to allow us to roll them to the next year, then tightened it up to those with 20yrs or more of service, then did away with rolling hours over at all. I get ~280hrs/year. One day is 12hrs though. I tend to take a bunch in Nov and Dec.

My last long term employer had a use it or lose it policy for salaried employees. At the 15 yr point with them I had "lost" about 6 months of vacation time. Most of that was due to company "needs" when other more senior people altered schedules and events to encroach on my 2-4 weeks of annual vacation time. While they always preached take your time to refresh yourself.....they were not very understanding if you were not present at key events, scheduled or not. There was one year there at my busiest (doing 90 hour work weeks for 6 months and 60-70 hrs the rest of that year) when I took zero vacation time.

I'm off everyday .

My wife's company gives her unlimited vacation time. Take as much time off per year as you want, as long as you get your job done. She could literally take 20 weeks off per year and no one would bat an eye. I think she takes 8 or 9 weeks off which is inline with everyone else.

fortunately the PTO that I accumulate I don't lose and nor do I have a limit.

I take some days off here and there, I will be taking off some time around christmas/new years

Use or lose sadly. I have 3 days to use up before Christmas week.. would much prefer the pay on top of working at this point.

use it or lose it, by your anniv. date with the company. I've been around long enough they are contractually obligated to give me 25 PDO days a year.
I still have 15 to use by the end of May.
the "fun" part is management has a long standing policy of "blackout Dates" around Holidays(starting in early Nov through the end of the year for THE Holidays), The Union says there is NOTHING in the contract that allows blackout dates...

it was hard enough to get 20 days in...(can only use 5 in a pay week, can't take multi week blocks without management approval, etc) then the next contract upped it to 23...next one 25...

My Brother started his Job with another company on Jan 6. never took any time off, headed into Nov with 10 days to use..now he's scrambling...

Last edited:
I think we can carry just under 300 hours. I earn 144 / year and usually use most of them. We have mandatory vacation between Christmas and New Years unless you are the standby engineer.

They added 40 hours of sick leave due to the mandatory vacation, which does roll over.

I have 2 weeks worth of PTO a year and usually lose half of it. Taking days off increases the chances of getting on the layoff list.

People should NOT allow themselves to get [censored] on and loose vacation time (PTO) they earned...

Zero possibility of me letting a company steal my days.

This can be regulated by state law. In California for example-accumulated vacation is considered "wages earned". Therefore-the company can make you take it-or you can be payed the equivalent wages.

If you leave-either voluntarily-or you are terminated, you must be paid vacation time you have earned. This is true if you work in the state-even if "Corporate" is located in another state.
I once worked for a company that was located in another state-and I was their outside rep in California. They had a "use it or lose it" policy. However-when we parted ways they had to cut me a check for accumulated vacation days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back