Ignition Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ignition coils on my 2012 Colorado haven't been changed as far as I know. They don't seem to be giving me any problems. Should I change them as preventative maintenance when I change the plugs or leave well enough alone? I'm coming up on 150,000 miles.

Leave well enough alone. Perhaps carry a spare in your glove box though, and the tool to change it.

Lots of parts out there are "service grade", not OE. And this includes Delco.

They're not really a short term replacement item the way old style cap, rotor & plugs, wires used to be. I mean, they'll easily go 200K miles.

COP(coil on plug) are(can be) quite expensive. Cheap ones are, well, cheap! And what I mean by expensive is, around $80/ea. And you'll want to stay with OE IMO.

Also, they're kinda easy to diagnose by simply switching them out with another next to it. But, if there is an issue, the CEL should emit & throw a code if this is the case.

And typically you don't buy a whole set unless you have multiple bad ones...at the same time. You can sometimes get a deal on a whole set but, you'd have to shop. Again, stay with OE!

Last edited:
One went on wifey's 2006 TSX at about 190K.
About 15 miles from home and Silicon Valley traffic aint for the faint of heart.
It threw a code for #1 cylinder coil.
It has been replaced; I will replace the other 3 using a brand recommended by this forum.

This is the 1st time this car has broken down.
At 150K you should be OK, but my advice is, if you have any question, replace them.
Cheaper than a tow and shop repair.
Perhaps someone smarter than me knows how to test them beyond good or bad.

Check your spark plug gap. Bigger gap than spec puts a strain on the coil. Change or regap your plugs will extend the life of the coil.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
One went on wifey's 2006 TSX at about 190K.
About 15 miles from home and Silicon Valley traffic aint for the faint of heart.

I had the single coil go on my now pre-historic '65 Comet. Wouldn't you know it, it failed on a busy, hilly, 2 lane highway having practically no shoulders and 30+ miles from home. [For those who know Saskatchewan, it was that infamous 39 mile stretch of Highway 5 near Saskatoon.] It would run but hardly pull on the hills. That also was not for the faint of heart.

I got it home somehow. But knowing what I know now, I should have had it towed.

The good thing is that a single coil is cheap and easy to replace. The bad thing is that when it goes, you lose all your cylinders.

Coils are not wear items to be replaced at regular intervals
smile.gif

I typically buy two or three off a wreck, and keep one or two in the spare tire well or somewhere.

We have a Lexus ES that gets driven A LOT. It is at 315k miles and just lost a 2nd coil this past week; it lost one about three or four years ago about 250k. So it's not a common occurrence requiring preventative replacement.

Originally Posted by irad
Check your spark plug gap. Bigger gap than spec puts a strain on the coil. Change or regap your plugs will extend the life of the coil.

+1

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I used to think this way. I think a little differently now.
Too bad there is not some data somewhere to track failure rates based on brand, age and mileage.
For the price I paid to get it fixed and the inconvenience, replacing all 4 in the TSX would have been a bargain.
They lasted over 190K miles and almost 13 years.

Afterwards I bought 3 more; next oil change they are going in.

Last edited:
Ignition coils are not a PM item - most good engine makers make reliable ignition coils that last a lifetime (but for Nissan back in the 5th gen Maximas),
I wouldn't replace them although if you are concerned and have the money why not add it to a plug job

smile.gif

"Replacing them is cheap insurance"
"I don't want a failed one to leave me stranded"

Standard responses one might expect....
crazy2.gif

I always wonder, do people replace working alternators as preventative maintenance ? Starters ? Light bulbs ?

I only replace them as they fail and I have been using Spectra Premium Blue streak coils with no problems. They are reasonably priced on Rockauto. I have 1 that has just hit 85k miles when the OEM one failed at 55k miles so I don't always buy into the only buy OEM coils. Coils are not a real complex item to produce like some sensors where I do prefer OEM over aftermarket.

Last edited:
I have 220,000 miles on my 2007 Canyon with the original ignition coils. No problems so far with the coils. You may want to check for oil in the spark plug wells. I had to replace the valve cover and spark plug well seals at 200,000 because they were leaking.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
smile.gif

crazy2.gif

I always wonder, do people replace working alternators as preventative maintenance ? Starters ? Light bulbs ?

Since acquiring my car &100K miles (165K on it now a 18 months later), I have proactively replaced the following:
- Alternator (not replaced yet but purchased and waiting on shelf for first available opportunity)
- Stop, Turn, and Tail light bulbs (4057 x 6)
- Parking and Turn Signal bulbs (3057 NA x 2)
- Side Marker bulbs (??? x 2)
- Headlight bulbs (2 low beam and 2 high beam; twice each)
- License Plate light bulb (??? x 1)
- Door sill light bulbs (same as license plate light x 2)
- Dome light bulb (white one, not red one - that's an LED strip)
- Main Battery (H7 @ 850 CCA)
- O2 sensors (all 4)
- IAT sensor
- ECT sensor
- Water Pump and idler pulleys
- MAP sensor
- PCV valve (twice)
- Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor

It never dawned on me to replace the starter though, thanks for the heads-up!!

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
smile.gif

crazy2.gif

Since acquiring my car &100K miles (165K on it now a 18 months later), I have proactively replaced the following:
- Alternator (not replaced yet but purchased and waiting on shelf for first available opportunity)
- O2 sensors (all 4)
- IAT sensor
- ECT sensor
- MAP sensor
- PCV valve (twice)

I really don't understand why you would change all that stuff for no reason? Seems like a waste of money. And inevitably something that you haven't touched will fail or one of the parts you installed will fail making that a waste of time and money.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
smile.gif

crazy2.gif

- O2 sensors (all 4)
- IAT sensor
- ECT sensor
- MAP sensor
- PCV valve (twice)

I really don't understand why you would change all that stuff for no reason? Seems like a waste of money. And inevitably something that you haven't touched will fail or one of the parts you installed will fail making that a waste of time and money.

In addition if he is using aftermarket parts they may be a step backwards in reliability and function.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
The ignition coils on my 2012 Colorado haven't been changed as far as I know. They don't seem to be giving me any problems. Should I change them as preventative maintenance when I change the plugs or leave well enough alone? I'm coming up on 150,000 miles.

I have a driveway full of GM ignition coils at my biz. In the last 4 vehicles retired due to ridiculous mileage (200k plus) I replaced one. That's it, one.

They just don't commonly fail at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back