KYB Excel-G Struts/Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I installed two sets of KYB Excel-G's and the outcome was very different.

1) 2003 Accord EX 2.4:

Background: 100K miles, brand new set of Michelin Premier A/S tires, compliance bushings are original but in acceptable condition.

Result: the handling is much improved; the tuning of the new struts is "extremely sporty." The ride became harsh and any road imperfections are now noticeable. This set of KYB's was Made in Japan.

2) 2010 Civic LX-S:

Background: 120k miles, 10k miles on the set of Michelin Premier A/S, compliance bushings are original but in acceptable condition.

Result: the ride is softer than any Gen 8 Civic that I have ridden in or driven. The handling is still reasonable. This set was Made in USA.

Both sets of KYB's were from Rockauto/Parts Authority.

I remember installing a set of KYB's in the FIL's Camry and they were much stiffer than the originals.

It seems like a crapshoot as to what you will get with KYB's.

Has anyone else experienced similar results?

C491A99D-578E-4DDE-AF7D-17A03729CB39.jpeg

73AB9423-5E0B-4E83-ACDB-543F4E971AD1.jpeg

5CE4F98E-C16D-45FE-837A-57214F415AC9.jpeg

E202FA9A-BE5E-4589-A1A1-C783DFA8CF12.jpeg

509EA030-9771-4556-A984-E56EC23407E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
If your putting used springs with 100k or more miles on them, I wouldn't expect the performance to be as good as complete new units.,,,

Ride height on both vehicles is within OEM specs.

Same struts (made in Japan) I installed in my '93 Sentra, with the originals having lasted 275,000 miles. The car rides harshly now, but it transformed its handling to "sporty" but it's wasted because its tires are tiny, 175/70-13. 50,000 miles later, they hardly have softened up at all, so don't count on them breaking in. I believe they are in reality designed for the heavier Altima of that era, and slapped in a Sentra was deemed do enough. Just my impression, because because after all these years I've found that some parts are interchangeable between the two. (Tires, Michelin defenders, but made no difference compared to what was on it.)

I think KYB was the OE supplier to the 8th Civic, or at least an OE supplier. Not too sure about the Accord, though. That could explain the difference. What were the original struts marked as? Were the cars you installed them on sedans or coupes?

KYB offers quick struts for both cars. Honda also offers OEM quick struts for both cars you listed, but they are quite expensive.

I just installed some Monroe struts on my car and they were made in USA, which surprised me. I'll bet the struts on the Civic were rebranded and the Accord were made by an OE supplier if they were made in Japan. I suppose that makes them both rebrands but the struts on the Accord might be made alongside OEM parts.

I just replaced my OEM 30 year old toyota TEMS shocks made by KYB with new KYB TEMS Super special for street made in japan.
I used new KYB upper Mounts. I reused the old springs. I find the ride now is noticably harder , though noise suppression is better, which I think its because of the new upper mounts.
The car also feels a little higher than before, and kinda feels a little jittery. I hope it wont be feelng like this for too long. Perhaps the rubber mounts are still new and has not compressed yet giving a slightly more springy effect ?
I did read some japanese reviews on these shcoks on minkara.net and many reviews mention that the damping is harder than stock.

Last edited:
I replaced the rear shocks on my 8th gen civic SI with the KYB Excel-G's and they were both leaking within 20k miles, I then replaced the leaking rear shocks along with the front struts with KONI Orange
and have been happy with them for the last 70k+ miles.
I also replaced the strut mounts with MOOG units.

KYBs on my Highlander wasn't to my taste - quickly went back to OEMs and the ride is same as before.
They are a hit-miss based on customer - if a customer is picky (like me) then it is very noticeable but for those who don't care (like my spouse) it would be just fine.

If you like it to be on the stiffer side, get Bilstein. I find KYB shocks are not strong. They become weak fast.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I think KYB was the OE supplier to the 8th Civic, or at least an OE supplier. Not too sure about the Accord, though. That could explain the difference. What were the original struts marked as? Were the cars you installed them on sedans or coupes?

KYB offers quick struts for both cars. Honda also offers OEM quick struts for both cars you listed, but they are quite expensive.

KYB OEM and KYB Aftermarket is different. Same goes with Akebono OEM and Aftermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back