Explain to me why Tesla stock tanked...broken glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points dogememe. EVs are rich mans toys. Even the 7500 tax credit is setup for only wealthy to take full advantage. You have to owe at least 7500 federal tax to use it all. $115,000 a year for family of 4 to use it fully. Not sure why we have handouts to people of that income level helping them buy expensive Mach E toys. Odds are, if you have that level of income you have the garage to charge in. Unless your in a super high cost metro.

They are bad in the winter, unless half the stated range is still enough. Expensive to insure and hard to collision repair.

If you live somewhere like Utah, for example, there are endless awesome outdoor places to see in every direction. Places that put you 100+ miles away from anything. Makes a recreational truck like Cybertruck hard to use without the 500 mile version and likely a gas generator in the bed just in case.

Something as large as the Cybertruck would really benefit from a gas or diesel range extender engine. Maybe a 1.2L tdi from VW and have it sit at peak torque generating power when needed. Now we are going against the EV narrative of not using any liquid fuels. You could have a 200 mile cybertruck with the diesel offering backup winter heat and power to extend range. Sounds better to me than doubling the battery packs until a range number is hit.

Saw a guy in a tiny town yesterday … he pulled into Handicap parking with a gorgeous Model S. Gets out … must be 80 and moving real slow.
Retirement luxury car crossed my mind. Has to charge at home, but probably stays in range ?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by fdcg27

WRT Tesla's supposed lead in EVs, it should be noted that almost all of the tech required to make an EV viable is found in the batteries and makers other then Tesla have the same access to commercially available cells out of which they build the battery packs for their EVs.
Most of what looks technically advanced in a Tesla product is really more of a GUI then anything particularly leading edge.

If this is true, then I wonder why no other car company, with their considerable economic might and experience, has not developed an EV comparable to new comer Tesla?

You mean in selling price?
You can buy two Bolts all day long for the price of a single Model 3 and these are pretty comparable in actual daily use.
The Tesla fans should also understand that some big German companies with considerable technical might both internally and in their supplier networks are going all-in on EVs over the next several years.
This isn't good news for Tesla.

WRT Tesla's supposed lead in EVs, it should be noted that almost all of the tech required to make an EV viable is found in the batteries and makers other then Tesla have the same access to commercially available cells out of which they build the battery packs for their EVs.
Most of what looks technically advanced in a Tesla product is really more of a GUI then anything particularly leading edge.

If this is true, then I wonder why no other car company, with their considerable economic might and experience, has not developed an EV comparable to new comer Tesla?

You mean in selling price?
You can buy two Bolts all day long for the price of a single Model 3 and these are pretty comparable in actual daily use.
The Tesla fans should also understand that some big German companies with considerable technical might both internally and in their supplier networks are going all-in on EVs over the next several years.
This isn't good news for Tesla.

I guess that's why Tesla is selling almost 90K Model 3s per quarter.
Does Chevy sell 180K Bolts per quarter?
The must be the same...

The must be the same...

Shows that people buy because of the name, not the capabilities.

Originally Posted by Pew
The must be the same...

Do you have any data to support your claim?
I imagine some people do; Tesla has earned an incredible following.
Teslas have the highest owner satisfaction of any car.
We love 'em.

Originally Posted by Pew
The must be the same...

We love 'em.

Do you have any reason on why any Tesla is more economical and a smarter buy than say, a Camry/accord/corolla? I could care less about "highest owner satisfaction" since that's nothing more than opinions. I'm pretty satisfied with my ford focus so I could really care less what another person thinks about another car (aka, a materialistic item.)

Not sure why you keep bringing up acceleration times. Are you drag racing from light to light? Acceleration times are just like top speed times, useless for anything other than benchmark racers.

I used to think that Tesla was doing a good thing. Until their cars were priced way out of the normal consumer market. Then the more affordable Model 3 was announced, with quality that looks worse than my roommate girlfield's Nissan Versa at 4x the price and 100 miles less range.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Pew
The must be the same...

We love 'em.

Do you have any reason on why any Tesla is more economical and a smarter buy than say, a Camry/accord/corolla? I could care less about "highest owner satisfaction" since that's nothing more than opinions. I'm pretty satisfied with my ford focus so I could really care less what another person thinks about another car (aka, a materialistic item.)

Not sure why you keep bringing up acceleration times. Are you drag racing from light to light? Acceleration times are just like top speed times, useless for anything other than benchmark racers.

I used to think that Tesla was doing a good thing. Until their cars were priced way out of the normal consumer market. Then the more affordable Model 3 was announced, with quality that looks worse than my roommate girlfield's Nissan Versa at 4x the price and 100 miles less range.

There is no smarter buy than a camry/ Corolla. But not everyone wants the smartest. Some like more fun or more power or more cool or higher tech. Tesla makes cool cars.

Originally Posted by Pew

I never said a Tesla is more economical than a Camty, Honda, etc. In fact I have said the opposite. I have also called them toys. Mine is a really fun toy...
There are studies that show a Model 3 can be more economical than a Camry, but that is a stretch at best in my opinion.
And it depends on a lot of things such as regional gasoline and service costs, how you charge, auto use case, etc.

I agree 0 to 60 times are not the most important stats, but Teslas are impressive.
You say you don't care about opinions and then state yours which I guess is important?
By the way, customer satisfaction is generally based on individual experience vs. other cars they have owned; experience is more than opinion.

My question to you was regarding your post "Shows that people buy because of the name, not the capabilities."
I happen to agree with you becasue of the reputation Tesla has earned for overall customer satisfaction including flaws.
Again, what do you base this on?

Teslas are expensive, no doubt. This much technology costs a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
The must be the same...

Probably has more to do with smugness than practicality.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Pew
The must be the same...

Probably has more to do with smugness than practicality.

I think we can all agree that the typical Tesla buyer wouldn't be caught dead in a GM product with a Chevy badge however good it might be.
Not much cache in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back