Please Help Make a Decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1998 LS400 has over 300K miles. I have had it since 30K in 2001. Excellent maintenance. OEM coolant, ATF, Filters, Brakes, etc.

It has started to leaking oil. Mechanic said it is leaking from Valve Covers and Cam Seals. Estimated $600 in labor costs as supposedly replacing the cam seals is a really big deal.
He said we might as well do the timing belt and water pump if we do the cam seals. He reminded me of the many miles on my car and told me I should really think about it. It is spotting
my driveway.

I would go to California in this car right now and not hesitate.

Help me decide what to do, please.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Would you want to gamble $15 try Barrs oil leak sealant and heres a $5 rebate
https://barsleaks.com/offers/

I hadn't thought about it. I've heard not to use products like this????

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Put a piece of cardboard down and save your money. Free rustproofing! Haha

Only my wife's car gets inside treatment. Mine stays outside. I'd need a brick or two. Plus it starting to smell of burnt oil.
It's a pretty bad leak.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Fitter30
Would you want to gamble $15 try Barrs oil leak sealant and heres a $5 rebate
https://barsleaks.com/offers/

I hadn't thought about it. I've heard not to use products like this????

Take a look at youtube videos for this product. The few I looked at show it didnt fix their leak. There are a few other products like At-205 reseal and Blue Devil oil leak stopper that do have videos that show it worked on old cars with leaks.

I would imagine you would need to continue with maintenance doses or run a High mileage motor oil to keep the swollen seals ...well...swollen.

Unless it's leaking more than a quart in 200 miles, ignore it. Car is 20 years old. Nearly all 20 year old cars have some leaks. Check the oil at every fill up and top off as needed.

My experience is the VCGs leak more. I imagine the hassle is getting at the rear ones on the longitudinal V8.

You could just do the VCGs and see what difference that makes not a hard DIY project. For the cams, you can then make sure you're running an HM oil and maybe supplement with some extra ester like Lubegard blue. M1HM + that really help keep my older/hm vehicles leak free. We have an ES with more miles than that and I've only done the VCGs once, and it's leak-free. Cam seals are still original, but the it's transverse so the rear ones likely don't get as hot as yours. I had a 2uz-fe engine similar to yours in the past and I don't recall the VCGs being a big deal to do, but it was a while ago.

I would wait until the timing belt is due then if the seals are leaking do it then.

If keeping it another 300K is in your mind then do it. If you are on the fence about keeping it another 30K..dont do it.

Originally Posted by HangFire
If more than one location started leaking around the same time, I would check the crankcase pressure.

You mean change the PCV ?

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Put a piece of cardboard down and save your money. Free rustproofing! Haha

Only my wife's car gets inside treatment. Mine stays outside. I'd need a brick or two. Plus it starting to smell of burnt oil.
It's a pretty bad leak.

Leak will get worse. I would shell out the $1,000 for the new seals n gaskets and drive for another 100k miles. You know and like the car. You know the mx history and if there's nothing else wrong with it...

It looks like you keep your vehicles for a long time and keep them maintained. Is this a vehicle that you want to keep around or one that you will soon replace? Is the timing belt due? Is that something that you plan on getting done in the near future? If it is, the valve cover gasket and cam seals may not be nearly expensive if done in a package with the timing belt and water pump. Older cars do need extra maintenance. If the car is structurally and mechanically sound, you want to keep it around for a couple more years, get it fixed. If you think you might get something a little newer just keep adding oil and maybe try some stop leak. You've had this vehicle a long time and you know what you have, buying a different one might lead you down a path with many more problems.

Nice car! If you like the car and intend to drive it another 50-100k miles then you should have the work done so it is fixed correctly. I will say even to this day the LS400 in silver or black is one of my favorite sedans!

Can you sell the leaky car and start putting miles on the LS430 instead?
Or is that a daily driver for somebody else in your family?

I honestly can't see putting money in a car of that age and mileage.

Originally Posted by GZRider
If you like the car and intend to drive it another 50-100k miles then you should have the work done so it is fixed correctly.

This ^^^^^^

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Can you sell the leaky car and start putting miles on the LS430 instead?
Or is that a daily driver for somebody else in your family?

I honestly can't see putting money in a car of that age and mileage.

I can't sell her. She's been so faithful. Til death do us part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back