Windshield Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a chip in my windshield and I don't have comprehensive so it is an out of pocket. Safelite wanted $167.
I bought a Permatex Chip Repair kit for $14. It did an amazing job !!

I was skeptical of a kit similar to the permatex and rain-x kit from amazon that i purchased but the chip filled in nicely and you can even repair short cracks before they continue to spread across the windshield.

I used the same kit years ago on a WRX I had with excellent results. Tip for anyone who may use this kit, repair it on a warm sunny day.

I was driving from Fla. to NY 2 years ago when a dump truck threw a stone which chipped my windshield (on Hwy. 4 near Orlando)....I stopped at WM and bought the Rain-X kit for under $11....it made a perfect repair.

Originally Posted by Donald
At Safelite they use a vacuum to remove any moisture that might be in the chip and use a blue light to cure the product.

I carry a card of clear circular stick-ons in my glove boxes. You stick them on a fresh chip to keep it clean and (I suppose) dry. Some stone chips don't spread, in which case you don't have to rush into a repair.

How much would a new windshield cost? $167 sounds close to the price of new glass installed
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I used the same kit years ago on a WRX I had with excellent results. Tip for anyone who may use this kit, repair it on a warm sunny day.

I picked up a uv plant bulb so i could do mone at night in the garage to cure the resin.

But yes sun is preferable if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back