New .410 Mossberg for $279. Good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got dragged to our mall tonight. I ended up at ***** sporting goods. They have a Mossberg 500 in .410 that I was considering for an Xmas present for my cousin. Of course I would keep it at my house unless we were shooting it and would be supervised at all times.

It's on clearance for $279 + all the stupid fees my state adds. I can get it for about $350 total.

I went down this road with a beginner years ago, and decided the .410 is basically an expert's shotgun, and a strange combination with the workhorse, farm laborer Mossberg 500. I did fine with it, but it was very frustrating for the beginner. For hunting you're talking only small animals, close range and rifle-like shooting precision. For shooting skeet or clays, it's for experts only, and forget about trap.

Unless he's already an expert wingshot knocking down 25/25 clay pigeons, get him a 20 ga as 147_Grain says, or a 12 ga and some Xtra-Lite loads.

Originally Posted by 147_Grain
20 gauge is more versatile and can be bought elsewhere for the same cost.
I have a 20 and it's more brutal than my 12!
I don't know if it's because it's much lighter or what. I hate shooting it.

I have a Mossberg 500 .410, and overall have been happy with it. The action feels a little loose and clunky compared to something like a Remington Wingmaster 870, but of course that is reflected in the price.

I would have to agree with HangFire as to ease of use. The combination of bead sights and narrow spread mean I definitely don't hit game by chance, but it has done the job when hunting for grouse.

I bought a single shot 410 a few years back and it surprised me how much they actually kick and the narrow shot pattern like others have said you shoot more like a rifle. Squirrels and rabbits might be fine. It seemed to have decent range but that pattern is narrow. For me more of a toy and plinker if I was actually wanting to make sure I could get something I would take the 12 or 20 gauge.

Yes, that's a very good deal. I like the retro look of the Mossberg and it will be hard to beat that price. I just picked up a new Benelli Ultra Light 20 gauge walnut stock for myself yesterday and am going to try it out today. If your relative doesn't want it I would be happy to take it off your hands.
cheers3.gif
The gun you are looking at is a great buy.

.410 is more of a novelty gun IMO. It's plenty fun to shoot, but a 20 gauge is far more versatile. I used to shoot a buddy's .410 (forgot the model) and liked it so much that I bought a .410 myself.

If I'm shooting clay pigeons or anything remotely competitive, the .410 makes it too much of a challenge when your buddies are all using 20 gauge or larger.

I bought that gun 6 years ago to carry to my camp. Load it 4 shot>>> (snakes at my door, any others I don't bother) >>>buckshot >>>slug for self defense …

Good little gun, and always figured it would not draw many questions if pulled over …
.410 shells are not the cheapest … but not outrageous either

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
.410 is more of a novelty gun IMO. It's plenty fun to shoot, but a 20 gauge is far more versatile. I used to shoot a buddy's .410 (forgot the model) and liked it so much that I bought a .410 myself.

If I'm shooting clay pigeons or anything remotely competitive, the .410 makes it too much of a challenge when your buddies are all using 20 gauge or larger.

I don't think she is ready for a 20.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Originally Posted by Chris142
I ended up at ***** sporting goods.

No!

I told myself that I would not buy there again. But this deal is 1/2 the cost of the other places.

Originally Posted by 147_Grain
20 gauge is more versatile and can be bought elsewhere for the same cost.

Yes and the Ammo for it is very likely cheaper than over priced .410 Ammo.

Almost spit my coffee out … seems your signature used to have a word that started with the same letter as that business.
Went into a coastal cafe two weeks back, they had a welcome sign !

One more thing … it's tight with the longer shells … I'd avoid them … less MV in those anyway since the bb load is heavy for that light firepower.

Last edited:

You can get low recoil 20 gauge shells. The .410 has some uses but shooting things in the air by a beginner is not something it excels at if that what' you're planning.

They do make reduced loads for the 20 for women and youth shooters.
https://shootingsportsman.com/low-recoil-practice-loads/

Last edited:
I have never seen reduced 20 here. Shipping it to California is a no-go as it would have to go to an FFL first and they bump up the cost.

They should have them at your local Bass Pro.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I have never seen reduced 20 here. Shipping it to California is a no-go as it would have to go to an FFL first and they bump up the cost.

They should have them at your local Bass Pro.

I don't go that way much. I will check next time I do. Bass pro requires that I drive on the 15,often 2+ hrs 1 way duo to wrecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back