video 3.2L 1996 engine noise, loose valve, rod, other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe those Troopers are known for making noises. I think it's just the lash adjusters/ rocker arm's that make those noises. Every one ive seen made that same noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpack88
I believe those Troopers are known for making noises. I think it's just the lash adjusters/ rocker arm's that make those noises. Every one ive seen made that same noise.

It could be. When I got it, it was many more lash adjusters stuck, a real racket of sounds. I put a qt of MMO in 15w-40 oil and after a week, it all had gone, except for this final noise.

I have been worried about a incipient rod bearing going, like the beginning stages before it goes really loud.
But putting my ear to the oil pan, is swaying me away from any engine bearings beginning to cause noises.

Originally Posted by sdowney717
I have been worried about a incipient rod bearing going, like the beginning stages before it goes really loud.
But putting my ear to the oil pan, is swaying me away from any engine bearings beginning to cause noises.

Rod bearing noise is a dull thud, thud, thud. Lifter noise is a tick, tick, tick.

Engine has hydraulic lash adjusters. So no adjustment can be made. And it is a huge job to replace them. Have to remove the camshafts which means take the camshaft timing belt off the front, and only has 20,000 miles on a new belt that can last at least 60,000 miles.

Yep, sounds just like my 97 did. The 'official' fix for them from Isuzu's TSB from the time period was run 0W-30 Mobil1. Back then 0W's were scarce, so Mobil1 would have been one of the better ones on the market. The goal is to get oil flowing through the HLA's and let them clean themselves out.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Rod bearing noise is a dull thud, thud, thud. Lifter noise is a tick, tick, tick.

I think you mean a main bearing noise. A rod bearing isn't a tick but more of a knack knack knack that gets worse under load and certain rpms if you're reving it. Like a double knock.

I suppose I could try some seafoam in the oil. Seafoam being volatile wont last forever in the oil, it will evaporate out.
The MMO oil I put in did help a lot of the noise except left with this last bit.

Any thought on seafoaming the crankcase?

Last edited:
I suppose I could try some seafoam in the oil. Seafoam being volatile wont last forever in the oil, it will evaporate out.
The MMO oil I put in did help a lot of the noise except left with this last bit.

Any thought on seafoaming the crankcase?

I'd stick with what worked. If you want to change it up a bit try this: Rislone HM. Trav mentioned it as a good product. There are two ways to use it. Two bottles for 100 miles, then dump the oil and filter. Fill it wiith fresh oil and a new filter, with one bottle for your normal OCI. Or since you already did some cleaning you can use one bottle for your normal OCI. Don't over fill the sump and keep an eye on the oil level.

Frankly I didn't hear anything that would concern me. What year is this Isuzu and how many miles on the engine?

it is a 1996 and 206,000 miles. But regardless of miles, it should not have valve clatter due to hydraulic lash adjusters, I have read the oil supply holes are too small and they clog up.

it is a 1996 and 206,000 miles. But regardless of miles, it should not have valve clatter due to hydraulic lash adjusters, I have read the oil supply holes are too small and they clog up.

More questions: Are you the original owner? What oil are you currently running?

Lifters do wear out. As for the oil supply holes, I'm not familiar with Isuzu engines. Perhaps a HM oil like Maxlife would be beneficial. The only way to know if the holes are plugged is to take a look.

Originally Posted by PimTac

More questions: Are you the original owner? What oil are you currently running?

Lifters do wear out. As for the oil supply holes, I'm not familiar with Isuzu engines. Perhaps a HM oil like Maxlife would be beneficial. The only way to know if the holes are plugged is to take a look.

Not original owner, but we have owned it for the last 10 years.
I went to Walmart and got the Seafoam, dumped in about 6 ozs.
It actually sounds a little quieter. I will update this thread later as to if it goes away.

Couple days ago replaced valve cover gasket and replaced the rear cam bracket rubber plug. Was leaking oil onto the exhaust and burning the oil made it smoke.
It is a super pain to do the rear rubber cam plug, have to remove a black bracket bolted to back side of head (take off 2 trans mount nuts and jack up engine to gain room). Then you have to unbolt the camshaft brackets, all of them and carefully lift the back end of the cam to pull out the rear camshaft support bracket. But you dont want to disturb the front one very much as those brackets are RTV sealed to the head.

Now it is no longer leaking out oil and sending up smoke clouds.

Inside of engine is very clean. This is a SOHC 24V 6 cylinder Isuzu 3.2L engine.

20191122_151339 (1).jpg

20191122_154645 (1).jpg

Last edited:

I went to Walmart and got the Seafoam, dumped in about 6 ozs.
It actually sounds a little quieter. I will update this thread later as to if it goes away.

Likely thinned out the oil enough to get some flowing into the HLA's Hopefully it will clean them up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back