Rolex 24 at Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked as race crew and gone as a spectator a few times. I'm not sure I can offer suggestions other than it's good to simply be there. It's a long race and can get boring for hours at a time. But, the more time you spend there, and really watching what's going on, the more likely you are to experience some good racing excitement. As cars fail, repair crews struggle and drivers change out, weather moves in, etc.

If you are friendly with a crew there, get a paddock pass. Otherwise purchase the tickets that get you as many places as possible. I enjoy going around before the race and viewing the cars and teams. I think I like seeing the equipment as much as the race itself.

Last edited:
I went there once around 1969. Had a great time. Got into the Porsche and Ferrari pits. I managed to chat with Dan Gurney, Pedro Rodriguez and Jochen Rindt. Got a photo of me and Gurney too. Bring some rain gear and a sleeping bag this is a very long race. Hearing protection would be useful if you are sensitive to noise.

I would plan for four days. Get the four day ticket with garage access.
Thursday will have practice/qualification (maybe, keep checking for schedule changes on the web site) for both the Rolex 24 and Friday's BMW Endurance race.

Thursday you can go to the museum, go around the track to find areas you want watch for the races.
I liked the infield area, especially the second horseshoe area, the stand there will allow you to see most of the infield track and on the top row you can turn and watch the NASCAR turn 1-2 banking.

The pit action is always interesting, but if the weather is cool the teams all have tents that limit pit viewing somewhat from the infield.

With so many classes running at the same time there is always close racing/passing unless there is a full course caution.
The overnight time has been long full course caution a couple times I've gone, usually for fog.

Hearing protection!!!!

Personally, I liked the TV coverage better, because the real action is either in the garage, or the closing gaps with a couple of hours to go.

Besides, munchies are only a room away!

Montero1, I've been to the 24 Hours at least a dozen times, going back well into the 1960s. These days, the 24 Hours is crowded -- as in absolutely packed. If you aren't among the first into the infield, good luck finding a place to park a car/truck/etc. along the fence lining the infield. And if you have to park further back, you won't be able to see much during the race sitting in a car/truck/camper trying to keep warm or dry. (And I say that hoping you're not one of those quiche-eaters who stays in a motel and only occasionally goes to the track for a couple of hours at a time?)

So, assuming you're a real gearhead, my humble recommendation is that instead of trying to wedge yourself in among 150k/200k spectators who now fill the infield during the 24 Hours -- half of whom are drunk after dark -- save yourself at least $100 or more on race tickets, and instead attend the Roar Before the 24 in early January. See http://www.daytonainternationalspee...-Rolex-24/Roar-Before-The-Rolex-24.aspx. You'll have complete access to the garages for several days, and you'll have a great time watching the cars being sorted out. And, in this regard, you do know the Corvette team will be bringing the new C8-R to the Roar, right? During the 24 Hours you won't be able get within a 100 feet of it. The garages are just too crowded. During the Roar Before the 24, on the other hand, you can easily work your way within feet of where the cars are being prepared. (Heck, you're not a jerk, you can even offer to pitch in with all the "gofer" stuff that always has to be done and everyone appreciates.) Then, during the race itself, you'll be at home, lying on your couch in complete comfort, watching the race on a 36" screen, having experienced everything firsthand without the hassle of crowds, traffic, drunks raising cane all night long, and multiple days of bad food.

After reading the comments, if you want to get close to the action and enjoy racing at its purest form in an absolutely beautiful setting, head up to Wisconsin and go to the June Sprints at Elkhart Lake. Lots of fun, small town charm. Beer&brats.

Absolutely the best!

We go every year, my 11 year old son makes it a few hours longer every time. We usually get there by 11:00AM on Saturday and get plenty of time to go to the garages and pits to see the cars and drivers up close and personal. Race starts at 2:30 I believe and the best part is you get full access to the track with no assigned seats on anything! We usually watch from the infield for a few hours and then later that evening head to the stands and pick your seat! It is NEVER crowded really, not sure what that other guy was doing... It is a phenomenal experience for any gearhead and will even make non-race fans smile. That first lap from the infield or the chicane is a blast and gives you sounds like you've never heard before!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back