Hypothetical scenario : Insect went in crankcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I topped my my oil last week, and I closed the hood. Did not use the car for a week. So before driving the car today, I checked under the hood and realized I forgot to put back the oil filler cap. Its been like that for 6 days. So now, what if a roach or some bug went in that hole, do I have worry about damaging the engine ?

On first seeing the title, I thought you might be a PETA advocate and were worried about the welfare of that critter.
lol.gif

As long as a Powerbait didn't fall in, you'll be okay. They engineer20 engines to withstand insects.

Originally Posted by dishdude
As long as a Powerbait didn't fall in, you'll be okay. They engineer20 engines to withstand insects.

Beat me to it dishdude, and better than I would have done it!

lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif
I was gonna post the same thing!

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. It was just a freak thing where a grasshopper jumped up and went down the oil fill neck on my truck. I spoke to a buddy of mine who owns a high performance engine machine shop, and he said to not even worry about it, and worst case just change the oil and filter sooner than normal.

Originally Posted by Gebo
No, you don't have to worry. Did you find your cap?

Yes sir it was laying on the headlight. The hood was just laid down not fully closed. Drove the car few hours ago. Seemed fine.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. It was just a freak thing where a grasshopper jumped up and went down the oil fill neck on my truck. I spoke to a buddy of mine who owns a high performance engine machine shop, and he said to not even worry about it, and worst case just change the oil and filter sooner than normal.

Thats freaky. And I always beleive it can happen given a long enough time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back