What causes this mark on my tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got some new winter tires mounted on some steelies for my van. Tires were purchased on Amazon, installed at Sears. DOT code of 2519, from this June. I noticed after I brought them home that one of the tires has this weird mark/abrasion on the sidewall near the tread. I noticed it before the tire was driven on. It looks sort of like a mold imperfection, or like it rubbed on something, but in a very specific narrow spot about 5" long and resulted in a smooth finish. If you can't see it, the area in question is on a "lip" that's raised a bit. Maybe was stored in a weird way, or from shipping? Tire drives fine and balanced fine just like the rest, just curious what this was. Tires are Nexen Winspike WS62 winter tires. I reached out to Nexen but haven't heard anything back yet.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I forget what the exact term is for that... mold tear line? Most molded elastomers have it. It's where the product is torn away from the mold fill runners during manufacture.

Or maybe not. The detail on the tire adjacent to it looks off. Something may have happened to the mold cavity or to this particular molded tire.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I forget what the exact term is for that... mold tear line? Most molded elastomers have it. It's where the product is torn away from the mold fill runners during manufacture.

Or maybe not. The detail on the tire adjacent to it looks off. Something may have happened to the mold cavity or to this particular molded tire.

If you look at the little "grooves" for decoration near that area, you can still see the bottom of them even though the tops are shaved off, so this imperfection is very shallow. I take it this is nothing to worry about then? The tires will likely be curbed here and there anyway as I often park on the street
smirk2.gif

"Good luck on hearing from China. They really care."

I wonder if the Chinese tires are DOT spec ?

Originally Posted by Wolfshead
"Good luck on hearing from China. They really care."

I wonder if the Chinese tires are DOT spec ?

These tires are from South Korea FWIW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zfasts03
Trimming off flashing from when the tire was molded?

Yup, that's it!!

Here's the trimmer that caused it: Flash Trim Knife

The problem could have been prevented by the mold designer who should have made that junction smoother (without the ridge). Nexen is relatively new at this game in the US and the finer points take awhile to figure out.

There's nothing wrong with the tire except the trim doesn't look good.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by zfasts03
Trimming off flashing from when the tire was molded?

Yup, that's it!!

Here's the trimmer that caused it: Flash Trim Knife

The problem could have been prevented by the mold designer who should have made that junction smoother (without the ridge). Nexen is relatively new at this game in the US and the finer points take awhile to figure out.

There's nothing wrong with the tire except the trim doesn't look good.

If you say it's fine Capri, then it's fine in my book. Thank you for the input.

On another note, I cannot believe how quiet these winter tires are. They do still give off some harmonics at very low speed, but at higher speeds they're actually a good deal quieter than my Nokian Entyre 2.0s that got really loud within the last few months. And they're way quieter than the GT Radial winter tires on our Fusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back