purchased my first Supertech air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
$10 and change, Made in USA, lasts up to 30000 miles, 3 year protection*, Free shipping. What's not to like??? I usually change air filters after 1 year and 15k miles. I hate to use a well-worn BITOG cliche, but l am going to "use it with confidence"!

Originally Posted by 147_Grain
Who makes Supertech air filters?

According to what l read here, it is Champion Labs.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
Haven't sighted them around here yet.

I haven't either. On Walmart.com there is both Engine and Cabin air filters.

Originally Posted by N Heat
Is there a cross reference to choose the appropriate filter?

Been to Walmart a couple of times but there is nothing to find which SuperTech filter you would require for your car. The tiny tablet is for K&N and Fram filters only.

I'm sure it has to meet some sort of industry standards, so it should be fine. In the past I've read that filters have a "sweet spot", where they accumulate enough debri that they actually filter better. And the opposite is true for the early stages of filter life - when they are new and there isn't anything but the filter media in there. Watched a YouTube video on a horsepower comparison between a stock new OE filter, a K and N new filter, and an aftermarket stock filter. I believe the they also tested a used OE filter with 30,000 miles on it.

If I remember the after market new stock air filter allowed for the most horsepower increase, flowed by the K and N, then the new stock OE and finally the used air filter. Their thought process/conclusion was that the K and N and the aftermarket new filter probably did the least "filtering" and therefore let in more air that was able to generate more horsepower. They didn't keep the test running through the life of the filter...I imagine everything leveled off once enough debris was captured in those filters. And I have read studies in the past on K and N filters...how they let sand and abrasives past the filter because of the size of the filter. Either way it appears that things eventually level off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by N Heat
Is there a cross reference to choose the appropriate filter?

Been to Walmart a couple of times but there is nothing to find which SuperTech filter you would require for your car. The tiny tablet is for K&N and Fram filters only.

Hit select category, check appropriate boxes for your vehicle,

click here

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Yes, I would use the ST air filter with confidence.
Is it better than a Fram Extra Guard? If not, why bother?

[/quote]Is it better than a Fram Extra Guard? If not, why bother?
[/quote]

Much better! Also, l know l can use this filter with confidence so that is why l bother!!

How is that filter "much better" than a Fram air filter??

I am not saying that the Champion made ST filter is bad... I am sure it is likely a good air filter. The labeled Champion air filters at Pep Boys made by Champion are very good air filters.

Originally Posted by bbhero
How is that filter "much better" than a Fram air filter??

"Much better" in my case refers to the impact on my emotional well-being. I do not like Fram air filters for reasons unknown to me. I've always eschewed them in favor of Wix and now Supertech. It's probably more of a "feel good" thing for me knowing that l won't be putting a Fram air filter in my vehicle.

Kinda like a Chevy vs Ford pickup guy where a die-hard Ford pickup driver would pass on a great deal on a newer Chevy truck only to keep driving in an old beater Ford.

The weird thing is l also avoid Fram oil filters, but have been using blue Subaru OEM oil filters for years without any issues. I am almost certain that they are manufactured by Fram, but l sleep well at night because they are painted blue instead of orange and have a Subaru logo on them instead of Fram. Go figure.

Originally Posted by mpack88
Cut that subaru oil filter open to see if it's made like a fram with paper endcaps.

I would have anxiety and lose sleep if my worst fear was confirmed so l won't be cutting anything open anytime soon.
lol.gif

Seriously, l don't really care if the endcaps are cardboard. The failure rate is probably very very low. If cardboard is good enough for Subaru, it is good enough for me.

just replaced the 3 y.o. fram in my jeep with an AC/Delco, which is pretty well thought of on some jeep forums. did not go back fram because it was just a tad large, had to force the top, clips back together last time. ST was not an option, but I also would do ST and sleep easy.

I think it all depends on the application.. I looked at the ST for my 96 civic, they left out the metal mesh screen on the intake side. That prevents the filter from getting sucked into the intake tube! Might not matter but hey if Honda designed it with it, I'll follow that design protocol.. Maybe other applications are better from ST?? hmm...
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by researcher
I think it all depends on the application.. I looked at the ST for my 96 civic, they left out the metal mesh screen on the intake side. That prevents the filter from getting sucked into the intake tube! Might not matter but hey if Honda designed it with it, I'll follow that design protocol.. Maybe other applications are better from ST?? hmm...
smirk.gif

Same. Wondering about that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back