Pickup truck vs. car + trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ausfahrt
I grew up with pickup trucks and love the utility that they offer. I bought a new 1988 Toyota pickup for $8800 and drove it 335,000 miles before I sold it for $2200 back in 1997. I replaced it with a 1994 F-150 extended cab with a 5.0 five speed MT.

But as gas prices rose I realized that driving a pickup truck with an empty bed while getting 15-17 mpg just didn't make much sense. So I sold my '94 F150 in 2004 and received my wife's 2002 Civic.

My wife and I have an agreement that I can buy new motorcycles but I have to drive her "hand me down" cars. Fine with me.

So I choose to drive her old and "my new" Civic to haul a trailer to Home Depot. It sure beats hauling an empty truck bed around at 17 mpg.

How are you guys dealing with $4 gas?

YOU! Yes, I am talking about YOU!
laugh.gif

I took your advice and bought a trailer and have been hauling stuff on it so far with ease and actually fun with my Civic(in signature).

Plan is to have a car and a trailer, beats having a truck in every way and works for me, thank you again
thumbsup2.gif

Not only that, things have changed a bit in terms of pickup trucks and fuel economy in the ~7yrs since this thread was started.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but towing with a ~35mpg Civic is going to drop that Civic's fuel economy into the teens, but I get it, the gist of this thread is day to day economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back