Royal Purple Synchromax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a quick question about Synchromax. What is the weight of this oil? Might it work in a Toyota Tacoma manual tranny?

I tried a search for it, but couldn't find anything of much importance. Thanks.

I run it in the G360 5sp in my 91 Cummins Diesel. Seems to work fine, shifts alot smoother than the motor oil called for in the manual. Although they do say ATF is a suitable cold weather substitute, so jaj's comment makes sense to me.

Synchromax can be used in transmission's that require ATF, thin MTFs, and 20wt or 30wt motor oils.

It should NOT be used in place of 85wt or 90wt gear oils.

What is the requirement for your transmission?

Bob, doesn't your 'Taco call for a 90 weight gear oil? The use of a thin, ATF-type oil in tranny may be disastrous.
shocked.gif

If you like the Royal Purple brand, you might opt for Max Gear instead.
dunno.gif

Definitely start with a product in the same weight called for in your manual. I prefer the Specialty Formulation fluids.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

The Redline MT-90 is what I'd use, because of the higher viscosity.

I can attest to the synthetic oil (vs mineral) shift qualities. My Bronco specs the same 90W trans oil as your Taco, and after a change to Valvoline synthetic 75W90 it shifts much better than with the mineral 80W90.

TLR

Support the BITOG board sponsors and get some Specialty Formulations 75W-90 MT fluid, or some 75W-90 GL4 MT fluid from one of the Amsoil guys. In my opinion, you could not go wrong with either of these MT-specific fluids. Have read positive comments on both. I have used the MT-90 as well, and it does a good job too.

quote:

Originally posted by bmwtechguy:
Support the BITOG board sponsors and get some Specialty Formulations 75W-90 MT fluid, or some 75W-90 GL4 MT fluid from one of the Amsoil guys. In my opinion, you could not go wrong with either of these MT-specific fluids. Have read positive comments on both. I have used the MT-90 as well, and it does a good job too.

ditto
Redline 75W90NS is good stuff too.

Liqui-Moly (Lubro-Moly) 75W90 also shifts well and is fairly thin for a 75W90.

Synchromax helped my Rangers 5spd with easier shifting and seems to let me keep it in a higher gear at lower speeds. But it calls for ATF. Any MTF formulation would probably work as good as another. I was going to run Redline, even had it ordered, but AA's poor customer service made me pay more for Napa's royal purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back