Got a mouse in my garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least ive found the droppings. I think it/they are moving through a hole in the wall where HVAC equipment runs to my crawl space. Wbats tbe best DIY solution? Bait? Traps? Pet snake? Obviously a trap is optimal so I can ensure the carcass is gone but Ive never found one that works well.

Traps. No way around it.

Also check under the hood to see if it/they started making nests on the engine. Don't ask me how I know that...
wink.gif

If you've got one, it's likely there are more.

I use larger bait stations outside (to kill them before they come in).

Inside, I use snap traps and glue traps - and a couple small bait stations (just in case).

It also helps to seal up areas where mice can gain entrance. I prefer rodent-resistant spray foam.

get a spray bottle put water mixed with peppermint extract and spray it around. i saw a spot on you tube a guy got red of mice on a long time setting car.

We've had a couple of rat snakes around our home for years that keep the mouse and chip monk populations in check. Sometimes a little disconcerting to turn a corner in the backyard and there is a 6' rat snake sunning himself, you do get used to it. Wife about lost it when she found one in the basement crawling up the wall behind the W/D.

There is a very large field across the street from our subdivision and they allow it to grow to be cut and baled for hay. Every time they do that we seem to get a mouse or two (that quickly become many if not checked).

The most effective thing I have used are glue traps with a small dab of peanut butter in the center and place the traps along the walls where they run. Inevitably, before they are all trapped, they will build a nest so be sure to check any and all cardboard boxes or paper products--they will nest inside them.

Originally Posted by motts
A ðŸ±

+2 just having a cat cruise through leaves a scent behind that mice don't like. But if it could be on full time patrol, even better.

I had the wire snap traps on a wood base, the glue traps with peanut butter, the best was the electrocution traps. They are dead, not moving, you don't even see them when you dump it. When you got one, a flashing light signifies it's there. You can even get the same with Wi-Fi and an app notifying you that it caught one. This is great for garages, attics, cluttered areas.

When there was mouse problem in garage they deposited stuff in the car air filter housing. A bar of Irish Spring eliminated that problem. Expanding foamed sealed the hole where they had access to house.

Mice will not chew through copper mesh. I went on line and found copper scrubbing pads about 3" in daimeter and 3/4" thick. I put these in the small holes where I had mice coming in....no more problem for the past nine years!

I found some rat droppings around our bird seed bags in the basement a few years ago. I bought a 4 pack of simple old fashioned mouse traps at Lowe's and put a dollop of peanut butter in a couple of them. In just a few days my mouse problem was solved. K-I-S-S!

All good suggestions. Thanks. Id never heard of the peanut butter being used. Gonna try the glue trap and wood traps with that first.

I had issues with them just licking the peanut butter off and not getting caught in the past. Switched to a small chunk of Snickers bar on the wooden snap traps and that was a lot more successful and it sticks to the trap very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back