YouTubers take home pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch a lot of different channels. How do these guys have enough money to do these things? Does YouTube pay that well? Project farm can buy a whole bunch of battery boosters to test etc.

Lately I have been watching Westin Champlain. A 21 yr old kid that really knows his stuff. He bought a crashed 2017 mustang recently. I'm sure that was not cheap even crashed.

I work my rump off, sometimes working 2 jobs plus my wife's income and I'm still broke! This month we had to forgo our satellite TV. How do they do it?

https://youtu.be/8Hy3fJNNqmQ

it's the subscribers, the more the better and google pays them. yes some people make BANK!!! advertisers pay big time for that kind of dedicated audience.

It's all advertisements. They make pennies per view, but when popular enough and gain tens of thousands (if not millions) of views per video... It ads up (pun intended).

There isn't tons of money at YT unless you have tons of views. Most channels have other sponsors, Patreon, gear, etc to increase revenue. It's not an easy big paycheck.

Mark Knopfler had it exactly right:

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free

People that work making videos on youtube do make some money, but I think they exaggerate their income. Some do get more money off their viewers from other platforms.

I don't believe everything I see or hear.

Last edited:
Familiar with Eric the Car Guy ? He has a shop in SW Ohio and made repair and how-to videos while he worked on customer's cars. He eventually got enough subscribers and his videos get enough views that he no longer works on customer cars. His job is YouTube.

Or, there's a guy (AutoVlog) that started with a leased Ford Fusion while he was a car salesman at a Ford dealer and he made some popular videos like what happens if you put the car in reverse at 60 mph, how far can you drive when distance-to-empty reaches 0, and so on. He quit that job and makes videos. He then bought a brand new AMG C63 ($80k) and bought a Raptor for his wife. The AMG didn't last long as he replaced it with a Ferrari F12 (??). I used to subscribe to him but unsubscribed....in his case, IMO, the money went to his head way too much. It's his business but to me it's become too much, "easy come, easy go" and I think it's going to come crashing down on him.

Yes, YouTubers can make serious money.

Originally Posted by Joe_Cena
....but I think they exaggerate their income.

They can exaggerate if they want to but what YouTube pays based on subscriber count, video views, and so on can be calculated to see if they're lying, exaggerating, and so on.

My fave YouTube channels are those of competitive eaters.
They'll constantly post vids of eating up to 20k calories in a single day.
Most stay slim by fasting and eating mostly low carb, healthy diets when they are away from the challenges.

I find it amusing watching them torture themselves.
I think to myself how hard it is on their poor bodies (digestive systems etc.) all for the sake of more hits
lol.gif

they do pretty well. need to do vids on non controversial topics though as YT will demonatize channel they think are bad. Food/ electronics/ cars all seem to do well. stuff like guns, survival, aliens mostly don't make money anymore on YT

there was detailer that said he make $5k a month off of his vids even though he only has about 50k subs. its good money ,but its also work. real work.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
My fave YouTube channels are those of competitive eaters.
They'll constantly post vids of eating up to 20k calories in a single day.
Most stay slim by fasting and eating mostly low carb, healthy diets when they are away from the challenges.

I find it amusing watching them torture themselves.
I think to myself how hard it is on their poor bodies (digestive systems etc.) all for the sake of more hits
lol.gif

Got any suggested YouTuber's to subscribe to if I want to watch this?

Originally Posted by Chris142
I watch a lot of different channels. How do these guys have enough money to do these things? Does YouTube pay that well? Project farm can buy a whole bunch of battery boosters to test etc.

Lately I have been watching Westin Champlain. A 21 yr old kid that really knows his stuff. He bought a crashed 2017 mustang recently. I'm sure that was not cheap even crashed.

I work my rump off, sometimes working 2 jobs plus my wife's income and I'm still broke! This month we had to forgo our satellite TV. How do they do it?

Maybe start your own YouTube channel with your vast knowledge of auto repair ?
You can have some extra income from your videos.

Or look for a better paying job. Too many people get stuck at a certain job when they have the skills to make a lot more somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Chris142

Maybe start your own YouTube channel with your vast knowledge of auto repair ?
You can have some extra income from your videos.

Or look for a better paying job. Too many people get stuck at a certain job when they have the skills to make a lot more somewhere else.

I'm pretty much topped out for my area. I can make more if I wanted to commute 6+ hrs a day to the Los Angela's area and back. No thanks! I'm only 17 min from the shop.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Joe_Cena
....but I think they exaggerate their income.

They can exaggerate if they want to but what YouTube pays based on subscriber count, video views, and so on can be calculated to see if they're lying, exaggerating, and so on.

No it cannot be calculated, only estimated. YouTube doesnt pay per view or per subscriber count, it pays per ad clicks. Ad click revenues is hard to predict since it is demographic specific. Children and elderly viewers are more likely to inadvertently click on ads. People in their 20s and 30s are mire likely have ad blockers and avoid clicking ads.

Then you can have affiliate links to Amazon and other online stores that also pay as small portion per purchase, sponsorships, donations, memberships etc.

In essence it is almost impossible to know how much money each youtuber makes simply based on their view and subscriber count.
Sure, it's easy to tell that someone with 10 mil subscribers makes more money than one with 500k subscribers, but by just how much, it's impossible to tell.

Some you tubers make millions per year.

My daughter who is 13 makes no money but managed 10000 views on one of social media platforms on some sort of art pencil drawing video. She used my old iPhone 7 attached(rubber bands) to her LED desk lamp and her mum's old MacBook Pro to edit slightly and put out there.

What I am getting at is you can at least try. Entry point is not high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back